Charging adaptors

Dedicated to the conversion sold by the now defunct Electric Car Company

Moderator: mattcarr

mattcarr

Charging adaptors

Postby mattcarr » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:56 am

As there is no board dedicated to charging, and the fact that charging covers all cars, I thought I would start the thread here - as it is me and I am wanting one for my citroen C1 ev'ie car.

My car has a dumb charger in it - all it wants to see is 240 volt mains power and it will draw what it requires up to a maimum of about 10 amps.

Now there are lots of home chargers being installed for free courtesy of the government. But alas, these only come with a J1772 type 1 or type 2 plug on them - they do not supply them with a 16 amp commando type plug on the end of the lead.

Now, on ebay there has appeard a type 2 to 16 amp lead which is great if you are out and about and want to use a charging post where the 13 amp plug is already in use, or if the post only has type 2 sockets on it. This doesn't help for those with home charging points with the type 1 plug.

I know there are a few C1'ers on this site, and some Gwizzers, and I am thinking that perhaps we could club together to see if we can get something designed and built that will fit our needs.

I will put together a drawing of the sort of thing I am thinking about and post it here soon. I will also link this thread on to the GWIZ forum to see if any one from there is also interested - and too perhaps the Twizzy forum ( on leaf talk ) as well.

Matt

mattcarr

Re: Charging adaptors

Postby mattcarr » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 am

Here is my simple picture of what I would like.

The 16 amp commando end would be plugged in to the car, and I could then just plug in the lead from the home charging unit.

DSC_0724.JPG
DSC_0724.JPG (177.82 KiB) Viewed 25906 times

flaninacupboard

Postby flaninacupboard » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:36 am

Here's the board you want:

http://modularevpower.com/Active_Vehicl ... opment.htm

Available on ebay. Simply place in a box with J1772 socket connected to the AVC2 and the +/-/E routed to a commando socket on the other side. Or upgrade your vehicle side socket to J1772 and use the AVC2.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Photos of boxes made by aminorjourney and dpeilow are shown in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449

Do we need an AVC2 group buy to save postage from the USA?
Tim Crumpton

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:35 pm

timpootle wrote:Do we need an AVC2 group buy to save postage from the USA?
or buy direct from Amsterdam and save on import duties...

http://wh.newelectric.nl/proddetail.php?prod=AVC2
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Rory166

Postby Rory166 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37 am

I know this is an old thread but I have just been referred by another forum.

The AV2 is not suitable for this adapter as it requires a 12v supply.

All that is required I think is a diode and 1.2k ohm resistor to ground to indicate to the charger that car is connected and requesting power. The push button on the plug is intended to indicate to the car to stop charging so would not be implemented in this case. Wikipedia is a helpful source for details.

The AV2 would be most useful for upgrading cars to public charging spec. Any interest in a combined purchase?

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

Return to “ECCPLC C1 ev'ie”