Collecting a TESLA

A company who really know how to make a car you would like to drive
Grumpy-b

Collecting a TESLA

Postby Grumpy-b » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:39 am

On Monday I went with a friend to collect his new Model S 85.
The whole event is well managed by the TESLA staff, most of whom dont seem to be car people at all, ie they are just selling and delivering a product. Since they dont sell cars its nothing like a normal dealership, no PX in the yard waiting to go to the auction, and no used cars for sale. The price asked on the online sales site is what you pay. No haggling. Its a bit like the M & S of car sales.

As you arrive , a Tesloid is appointed to you, and they introduce you to your car (You have a time slot for its collection) they then lead you through the many screens on the centre flat screen that set upp the car for your use. Mostly quite neatly set out.
All aspects of the car use are covered, including how to close the front Trunk (Not a bonnet) and not dent the aluminium panel. Its very very light and easy to bend. Tailgate shuts itself, and I think this would be a great idea for the front.
A 32amp charge lead is supplied, but a 13amp lead is an extra cost option. I wouldnt want to charge 60+kw of a big charge at 10amps, so I guess it is rather pointless.

The drive is so easy, and so easy to get the rear end to get out of line on a wet road and a heavy foot. Lesson number one.
Im used to driving EVs and the continuous flow of power with no gearchanging, but these are just unbelievable.

Overall the finish is good, some of the panel lines are a little inconsistent, and some trim around the rear side windows a little poorly matched to the body lines. But overall It is built to a high standard. Very unlike a US made car, very much like a European car.

Would I have one? yes but since I wouldnt consider spending so much on a car even if I had the funds, its never going to happen.

Grumpy-b (Still rather green in colour)

Rory166

Re: Collecting a TESLA

Postby Rory166 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:35 pm

What would it take to make a car as good as a Tesla? It would probably need 2 motors for enough power. The batteries might need to be Tesla style in order to be light and small enough. We cannot get High voltage gear unless it comes from scrap cars.

I wonder if breaking 2 Leafs and making a 4 wheel drive would be an answer?

Aerodynamics have a huge impact on range at high speed. Most ICE cars pay little attention to this area so this is one area that could be improved on. It would be a win-win situation because lighter batteries could be used further helping with range and cost.

Rory
Electric Seicento conversion, Leaf

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:50 am

i wonder what Tesla would sell the likes of you and me batteries , motor/transaxle and I guess the controller for? I wonder if they'd actually refuse to sell it to you at all.

skooler

Postby skooler » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 pm

They will refuse.

I asked them about buying 6 figures worth of batteries and they declined.
Posts by Mike Schooling
Director and tech lead at indra.co.uk

Mazda RX8, Soliton Jr, 24KWH Sinopoly LiFePO4, Kostov 11alpha
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/sh ... 61556.html

willfromsussex

Postby willfromsussex » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:46 am

There's currently a salvage tesla for sale on copart http://www.copart.co.uk/uk/Lot/38746725 ... 1753858534 ends on 14th. Currently at 10 Grand. (+ fees)

johnnywheels

Postby johnnywheels » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:00 pm

skooler wrote:They will refuse.

I asked them about buying 6 figures worth of batteries and they declined.

As ev's continue to gain popularity and more self-sufficient energy options are available, do you see Tesla changing their stance on denying you such a large purchase?

Return to “Tesla Motors”