Electrical fault light - possible causes?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:53 pm

Sorry to hear that Tim, while the bingo is a very good vehicle when running, it can be a right pain when it starts to go wrong :cry:

If its the similar fault i.e comes on after while and no other issues then it could well be a insulation fault.

I'm wondering if its a damp problem ??

I must admit I'd be tempted to start carrying out insulation resistance checks on the system with something like 500vdc insulation resistance instrument.

HOWEVER ONLY DO THIS IF YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING

If you do go down this route I hold no responsibility for damage to the vehicles wiring or electrical system so if anyone blows stuff up doing it you cant blame me :wink:

At the very least you will need to take the controller out of circuit, its really only going to tell you stuff like the cables and interconnects are OK, you should be able to check the motor as well but again you need to know what your doing with the instrument :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:29 am

One point, the Brushes in OHPs van are E105, when I looked at them they were so like new they might just have gone in.
Since they are harder and have different resistance properties, perhaps this is a bedding in problem.

What are the brushes That you have put in Tim, E101 or E105?

Might be worth a word with Schunk, Two vans new brushes same problem.

Regards
Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:59 pm

Well I knew I wouldnt get away with it for ever but mines just thrown the fault light up

Still drives fine and doesnt appear to be causing any other issues just yet, so looks like its going to need to have its codes read and see what we find.

For the record it comes on as soon as you engage the main contactor.

I'm suspecting an insulation fault as its surprised me that I've not had any issues considering how wet its been and the fact I never put back the splash guards on the front end after the battery change.

These vans are great when they are running but when things start to go astray it scares the willies out of me :cry:

Will do some investigation and report back when I get a chance but Christmas may get in the way.

How have others got on with there fault lights ??

ChrisB

cianof

Postby cianof » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:35 pm

If you don't have the latest version of the EVlite software contact Evan. He should be able to do a software update to your EVlite so you'll be able to clear the fault memory. Clearing the fault memory got rid of my fault light and it hasn't come back since.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:07 pm

Cheers

I'm hoping that mine is just a puter glitch, I'm just glad the ECU dosnt run on "Windows" or it would drive something like ......

1. For no reason whatsoever, your Berlingo would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new Berlingo.

3. Occasionally the Berlingo would die on the road for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the Berlingo, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue, and for some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. IF Macintosh where to make a Berlingo it would be powered by the sun, be reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five per cent of the roads.

6. The Battery recharge, ECU and ignition warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Berlingo Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your Berlingo would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna

9. Every time a new Berlingo was introduced you would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old Berlingo.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn it off.

:lol:

Sorry couldnt resist that.

ChrisB

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 pm

Right appears that my ECU light was a random insulation fault :?

The light actually went out in the end, so I'm suspecting/hoping it was due to a all the damp weather we've been having and now things have dried out all will be ok :?:

I am thinking I need to pull the motor and give it a good looking at though as I really dont want a flash over in it due to carbon build up from brush wear.

ChrisB

NickJ

Postby NickJ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 am

Hi All

Well we join the club of berlingo with fault light..damn.

Jo was pulling out of a junction this morning and it just died, fault light on. Now wont move. Light goes after "restarting" As soon as you touch the accelerator the light comes on. Brushes changes with a set from Evan about 5000 miles ago, will check when it arrives back on the recovery wagon. I have e-mailed Evan with our woes and to ask about EVlite updates as we have the version 1 so does not do fault codes.

I will keep you all posted and hope for the best!

Nick

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:19 pm

Oh dear sorry to hear that.

mmmm that sounds like it might be a motor field issue and controller failure if it wont drive at all :(

My spare has a similar fault and theres definately fried stuff in the controller :cry:

Its a shame these vans are so great when they are going but such a pig to repair when they die :cry:

ChrisB

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Blast - mines just done the same. Brushes have been in about 4500 so could be getting low and the carbon has caused an insulation fault.

Tried the usual reset stuff and still the same - so hopefully when I get under and clean out the carbon , replace the brushes if needed and reset the fault light with the diagnostic kit then it will go away

Fingers crossed.....

John

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:32 pm

Crikey! That's me and Nick and John all off the road at the same time. Evan will have his hands full!

I pulled the 'calculator module' out of my controller and saw that it was toasted beyond my fixing, so off to Fife it goes. I can't imagine what Evan will do with it, but he said he'd have a look.

Good luck Chris. Hope your light stays off for you.
Tim Crumpton

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”