Long range lithium conversion

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Grumpy-b

Re: Long range lithium conversion

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

A similar think happens when the battery temp sensor goes and registers high temp. The eco light goes on and the system shuts down. Worth trying a 5k resistor in to seeif that works.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Grumpy-B : Thanks! You have given me hope when I had none. I have quite a few unused connectors after removing the battery boxes and cooling system.

First try with a 5k6 resistor I found lying around didn't bring it straight to life. Is this a latched fault requiring reset? What range of resistance does the temp sensor give out? Maybe I could use this connector to stop the car when the BMS sees critical low volts.

I will hunt for other likely looking plugs. Is there anything vital you know of connected to the radiator? I kept one pump for the controller cooling, but the other one is open circuit right now.

Getting somewhere :-)
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 am

Can you use your evlite, if so what temperature is it showing? if its above about 35c then thats a problem. It seems to just reset when the temp gets back to a normal level. Try an adjustable resistor in the circuit and watch the temp change. Its just one possible solution. As for the controller and the pumps, they are controlled by relays so shouldnt be an issue if totally absent.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I never bought an EvLite (sorry Evan). I have been trying to use an Actia box plugged into my laptop to see data, but not working right now. My next move is to install the PeugeotPlanet software and try that instead of the Citroen/Lexia3 software.

Today I plugged in the 3 spare plugs from the radiator, back into the radiator. A blue one, a brown one and a black one for the remaining water pump. Still no joy.

Open house next weekend for anyone who thinks they can help. Email or PM me for details.
Tim Crumpton

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:11 pm

torchy-torchy wrote:Hi Tim,
I recently purchased another Berlingo from Harry M and he told me of your conversion project. I converted my Berlingo to lead-acid, which reduced the range and used nearly all of the carrying capacity. I am now slowly replacing the 13 lead-acid's with Lithium cells. My overall system when complete will have a capacity of 120A/H which means I can use the existing charger and controller.
I hope you have sucess with your mammoth task.
Best Wishes,
Nigel

OMFG I cannot be hearing right !!!
LiFePo4's have nothing like the same charge profile of Ni-cads or Nim-H's!

Slowly replacing? I'm getting really scared now. Really scared!!!

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 pm

timpootle wrote:I never bought an EvLite (sorry Evan). I have been trying to use an Actia box plugged into my laptop to see data, but not working right now. My next move is to install the PeugeotPlanet software and try that instead of the Citroen/Lexia3 software.

Today I plugged in the 3 spare plugs from the radiator, back into the radiator. A blue one, a brown one and a black one for the remaining water pump. Still no joy.

Open house next weekend for anyone who thinks they can help. Email or PM me for details.

Hi Tim, hope to see you this w/e. Have you got all the fluids fixed like brakes and cooling? I've not read through all these messages yet..... Need a prozac.
Hey, Mary texted me. As usual I found out and was reminded too late. :(

Andrew

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm

We took out the calculator board yesterday. It was sitting in a puddle of water inside the controller...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timpootle/ ... 497919422/

Has anybody got a spare calculator I can try, to see if the rest of the controller is OK?
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun May 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Woot! I have just driven 11 miles on lithium! Thanks to Tim Strutt for the loan of his controller while Evan fixes mine :-D

Next job is wiring up the charger, or maybe a different one that charges faster than 10 amps...

My plan is to keep test driving until the lowest cell is down to 3.2v before trying to charge the pack. Some way to go yet, as I am only down to 3.28v

One EV grin just arrived :-D
Tim Crumpton

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Mon May 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Nice. What is your projected range now? Did you manage to cram all the batteries in to the van in the end?

Beemer

Postby Beemer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:14 am

timpootle wrote:Woot! I have just driven 11 miles on lithium! Thanks to Tim Strutt for the loan of his controller while Evan fixes mine :-D

Next job is wiring up the charger, or maybe a different one that charges faster than 10 amps...

My plan is to keep test driving until the lowest cell is down to 3.2v before trying to charge the pack. Some way to go yet, as I am only down to 3.28v

One EV grin just arrived :-D

Oh What??? Great news. I wanna see this.. I really want to see this! :mrgreen:

Tim, am I right. You sold some cells? I was wondering, you bought 129.6KWH.. You have 162V/97.2KWH? Could still be a world record for a small van.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Charger. Nothing wrong with yours, just leave it on overnight but I'd have it knock off at a much lower voltage.
What do you need? I'm about to order one myself. Elcon seem to be the best from sources that test these things.
1.5KW, 3KW, 4KW, 6KW, 8KW units.
i.e.
Elcon 8KW (Input) Lithium battery charger. Needs 32A plug.
Lithium Battery Charger Vout Max Iout Max
TCCH-H168-60 168V 60A $2,000+S&H

Elcon 3KW (Input) Lithium battery charger. Needs 13~16A plug
TCCH-H161-20 161V 20A $725+S&H

Figure $=£ after importing.

They sell CANBUS for active BMS. Or ENABLE. If the Voltages on the adverts are not what is required, they factory set the parameters for you and label the unit accordingly. Also the AH because they knock off the charge at C/50(?). I'm needing 102V for 100AH. Have prices and stuff here. Will have to mail it you if you like.

All the best. Hope to see you soon.
Andy

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”