Whats the highest mileage Berlingo/PSA car out there?

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
Joe T

Whats the highest mileage Berlingo/PSA car out there?

Postby Joe T » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:01 pm

Just interested to know what the highest mileage currently on an original spec PSA car is.
The more I read the more I wonder about battery life etc.

But are there any out there done more than 50k 80k?

Now I am using mine daily just wondered what the life expectency is.

Cheers

Joe

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi Joe , sorry havent got to your PM yet :oops:

Right well Saft recons the batteries are good for 1500 80% DOD cycles which puts a ceiling on the mileage of something like 60k I think.

Currently we have had early pre 2000 vehicles fail at about the 20-25K mark and post 2000 motor/controller failures :cry:

I've heard rumours on the EVlist of folks nearing 60k and still not having any major problems, I've also heard in the states that these batteries should do upwards of 100-150k :o but then we are talking the states here and everything is bigger and better over their including their rumours I suspect :lol:

I'd like to see 50k at least from my post 2000 set, my pre 2000 set waved the flag with a big bang at just 23k :o :cry:

Currently I'm on about 28k with this set but as they are post 2000 batts in a pre 2000 van its tricky to say how many miles they have on them, I suspect about 12-15k currently so only time will tell.

Hope that sort of helps and maybe others will post their current mileage here ?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:48 pm

17000 for me on a 2003 - still o.k, although best range is after the periodic auto balance charge.

John

Joe T

Postby Joe T » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 pm

Well thats encouraging, its the main question I seemed to get asked at the moment.

No worries Chris just drop me a PM when you get a chance etc

Cheers

Joe

goochmeister

Postby goochmeister » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:10 am

Had 14K out of my 98 106 with no probs.
But have had 2 pre 2000 berlingos go dead on me under 20k!
My current partner has only 6K on it so no probs.
spoke to Evan T 2 days ago and he has a Berlingo with 77K and still going strong! Did I miss hear?
Forgot my Dynasty It with 2 miles on the clock and very dead!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:48 pm

My original w reg Blingo was purchased dead, with major controll failure and lots of duff batteries, with 10k on the clock. Its now doing very well having clocked up an additional 4+k. The other 4 (One going well, one a possible runner , one accident damaged and my Multispace doner ,and the last one a general battery and parts doner) all from the same council, and all had done mid 20K all 2000 reg v and W . Each one had had bettery changes some 2002 one 2005. Judging by the info I got from the working controller and the council they were all serviced as per Citroen spec,800 overcharge hrs hence the battery failures. The more I hear the more I am convined that about 500hrs (about 2000miles) is a good maint charge and fluid top up interval.
Grumpy_b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Good grief you must have the UK's biggest stock of Blingos :shock: how on earth did you manage it ??? I have never found them to be that easy to find ...........or did you have a back door into them :wink:

As for battery failures dont forget the seperator issues on the pre 2000 batteries, while it was suppose to be only caused by fast charging I'm not so sure all my old ones have failed in a similar way and investigation does suggest the same seperator failure.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:55 pm

I also had the one that Tim is putting his Lipo mountain in!!!
They just cane at the right time and I had access to the space to store them.
Once I have finsihed my Multispace, I will be at least one of the two Im currently using. It like the other three are ex council Meals on wheels vans with odd GRP doors in the side. Not the nicest looking conversion, but who cares at what they cost to run.

Interestingly the pre 2000 batteries I have left all have higher voltages (resting after charge)than the later ones.

I am currently sourcing replacement bushes for the Torque reaction rod on the underside of the motor. The replacement arm (no bushes of course) from PSA is over £50. Bushes likely to be under £10. Two options one is a similar rubber bush, the other is the Polyurethane route.

I have previously had a failure on my temperature sensor in the op battery box. I have sourced some components from the US and should be able to do a re-furb, so if anyone else has a similar problem I should have a solution and one to swap out on an exchange basis. Bit of testing next week and another part is renewable.

After the discussion about the rear Seat anchorages, while I have my shell on its side with good access and a proper set of mounts to work from,I am working out a part that could be dropped through the floor and a hole in the lower face of the crossmember and bolt through as well as weld to the floor. Or weld in to the bottom as well (not welding bolts as Hydrogen embrittlement would make this a pointless exercise). Once I have the part sorted I will post some pics.

Long live Blingos. The more we can source replacement parts the better and longer to keep them going.

A chap on French E bay has a controller 400 + euros + 200 Euro postage. Dated about 1998. He has no other parts. Its in the south of France so too far to collect.

Grumpy-b

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:01 pm

errr I really don't want to be negative but these mileages are pretty pants really. I know they are short range machines but I do around 200 miles in a week just running up and down the road between villages here and this isn't sounding very good to me at all :( I got into EVs to save money, not to cost me more...

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Since I have been using my main Blingo its clocking up 8 to 900 miles per month. With two now in use we are doing about 11 to 1300 per month combined. Not far off many peoples conventional vehicle usage.
All the ones I have were doing short journeys in inner london. Perfect sort of usage.
I think a significant point is that these are 8 years old and still in good overall condition, and with good care being taken of them I see no reason why they cant live for another 8 years. They are proper vehicles, well thought out, and if PSA hadnt wanted to concentrate on Hybrids, and had decent garages in the UK, they would I am sure have been a serious mainstream start for EVs in europe. They were probably the single largest number of vehicles produced so far as a production run of EVs.
High mileage isnt the only important point. Usability in their intended environment is more significant. and as small delivery vans in an urban environment they were perfect. For me they are also working in a semi rural one.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”