Blingo heater.

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
chatwindows

Blingo heater.

Postby chatwindows » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Hello boys & girls.
I thought I'd share this little gem with you. During the recent cold spell I was less than enamoured with the heater performance. i.e. time to heat etc. I decided to "lag the pipes". With some reflective foam from behind a house radiator I first of all wrapped the small tank. Then using standard split foam tubing & some cable ties I did all of the exposed heater pipes. The results have more than repaid the small effort needed to do the job. The heater now quickly gets hot enough so that I have to turn it down sometimes!

Richard Elliott

Postby Richard Elliott » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Its getting to the heater season very quickly now! I was thumbing through the recently discovered maintenance book I found in the bottom depths of the shelf under the dashboard and one of the items listed under the regular maintenance requirements is 'check the fluid level in the heating system'. Can anybody tell me where to check said level and what goes in it? I've had the heater warning light on for two years now and putting some petrol in the heater petrol tank didn't turn it off. Too scared to turn the heater on as a cosequence & extra thermals have had to be the answer to cold weather so far, but that doesn't help the windscreen!

Richard Elliott

chatwindows

Blingo heater

Postby chatwindows » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:24 pm

The small tank at the left hand (from the front) side of the engine compartment battery is the heater tanl make sure thast it has got a decent anti-freeze mix as there is no other heat source to stop it freezing when not in use. Sometimes the heater fails to ignite. usually if you give it another chance by waiting several minutes, it will fire up again. it is a good idea throughout the summer to periodically use the heater for a few minutes. If all else fails a lorry cab heating agency will have the equipment to test & probably repair for you. Citroen main dealers seldom show an interest.
All the best JC

chatwindows

Blingo heater

Postby chatwindows » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Sorry! I meant right hand side. JC.

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:36 am

No, you meant left hand side (of the vehicle).

It's a big tank and shouldn't need topping up. I think the book is worrying you unduly. The check will take you a grand total of 4 seconds. Thanks to http://berlingo-e.co.uk/ for the picture. I added the big red arrow.
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:37 am

Dont think I've EVER topped mine up, well its not likely to go anywhere unless theres a leak.

Mine as per normal played silly beggers and wouldnt light up :roll:

So fresh fuel was order of the day and the good ole pulse pin 1 and 6 on the connecter to get the fuel pump running again seemed to sort it out again and away she went.

Been OK ever since

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

chatwindows

Blingo heater

Postby chatwindows » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 pm

So come on Chris B. Tell me more about this pulse pin & connectors. Although my heater has only failed start up once, I am always intrigued about other options. With the colder mornings I am using mine most days now & I have to say the lagging seems to have worked. Certainly does not cause me to even think about complaining about how long it takes to warm up. I cannot remember if I told you. Just after getting the van one day coming back from Stafford on an evil cold day, the light in the switch went out. I stopped, checked fuel, connections, tapped heater etc, etc all to no avail, so completed the journey in the freezing cold. Found out the next day that the bulb in the switch had failed! Nothing wrong with the heater!!!
Best regards JC.

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:29 pm

The fuel pump delivers a measured shot of fuel that is pulsed into the burner each time the burner decides it needs fuel. If its using heat more it pulses more often. The pumps stick, and so giving it a short sharp power burst un sticks it. The pump does not run all the while its a solenoid arrangement with a moving shuttle armature sending the measured shot each full stroke. The oumops are different for Diesel and petrol, with different fuel delivery rates.
The pumps are very prone to sticking and the final resort is to lay under the van with a long socket extension and give it a sharpe tap. Result the innards get moving again.
They really do need to have a decent fuel filter in the line just to clear the *please do not swear* out that helps block them up.
The later burner units have a different wiring arrangement, I think chriss one is the earlier type, the picture that Tim put on definitely is, so if the van is made before 98 its likely to be the same. Dont go by registration all mime are 2000 reg but build dates are from mid 98 to late 99. and all bar my van I use are the later types.

Grumpy-b

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:54 pm

As grumps says the pumps deliver a measured pulse each time they are fed a single 12v pulse, due to the fact mine seems to stick if not used for some time so I pulse pin 1 and pin 6 on the smaller plug with a bent paperclip to pulse it into life, as it seems easier than climbing under the van and clouting it :wink: (although I tried that option first and it didnt work)

Mine is the earlier type so dont know if its the same for the later ones ?

There more here http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk ... .php?t=105

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”