Strut brace for Berlingo

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
timpootle

Strut brace for Berlingo

Postby timpootle » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:02 am

A common fault with the Berlingo electrique is front tyre wear, presumably from carrying the weight of all those batteries.

Has anyone here tried fitting a strut brace (upper, lower or both) and was it any use? I have been looking into the possibility of using Peugeot 306 components, but I'm not sure exactly how interchangeable they are, and if the lower brace might foul the motor.

Suggestions?
Tim Crumpton

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:18 pm

I really dont think this is an issue. More important is the state of the lower arm rubber bushes, that disintegrate. The cheap replacements are poor value and the genuine ones are now quite different to the originals.

This is the main cause of the tyre wear. Not the substantially more rigid bodyshell.

Grumpy-b

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:59 pm

Okay, I shall stop worrying then ;-)

Are you saying the new, genuine bushes are improved, or that they no longer fit our Berlingos?
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:04 pm

Must admit you soon realise how ridged the Berlingo is when you jack one corner up and within a few inches off the ground and the other corner is lifting as well.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Gosh my spulling was crup. - FIXED

The newer rear bush for ours is a better design, and not the original Void bush with only partial full rubber contact, but a complete rubber bush around the whole bushing.
The arms are also used on late Multispace and 1.6 hdi vans. The pressed steel arms with replaceable outer ball joints will fit. The rear bush is a different size on these arms.

As chris says jack up the front at one side and the whole van goes up. Quite impressive torsional stiffness. Multispace is the same. I had my hdi diesel one up in the air to do the clutch at the weekend ,and its just as stiff.

Grumpy-b

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”