Antifreeze

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
sparky

Antifreeze

Postby sparky » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:11 pm

I had to remove the front lower battery pack to remove & repair motor, I now need to top-up or replace the coolant, The antifreeze in at present is green in colour, so I presume it to be Procor 3000 which is what the book recommends.
Ive tried to find some without success, Even my local citroen dealer didn't have it and couldn't tell me whether the antifreeze they use was suitable or not.
Does anyone know were I Could get Procor 3000 or know of a suitable alternative.
thank you
sparky.

Flying John
Site Staff

Re: Antifreeze

Postby Flying John » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 am

When I removed my controller and had slight loss of coolant - I used halfords own. Thats green too. Said it was compatible with other coolants.

John

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 pm

When I did mine I totally flushed the system out as I found mixing it with another type made it go ort of gloopy :?

I tried 2 different types and both made the citreon stuff go odd (didnt try Halfords)

So I flushed the whole system with water for about 30mins and then refilled it with Morris Blucol or something like that. Seems to be ok.

TBH if you've only lost a small amount then just top it up with water as from memory its neat and thus can be watered down to 50-50 and it should till protect to something like -10

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

sparky

Postby sparky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:03 pm

TBH if you've only lost a small amount then just top it up with water as from memory its neat and thus can be watered down to 50-50 and it should till protect to something like -10
ChrisB[/quote]

I lost what came out when I disconnected the front lower battery pack which probably wasn't that much, Ill try topping with water let it mix then test with antifreeze tester if its a bit low Ill flush the system and replace the lot.

Thanks

Sparky.

EVan

Postby EVan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:08 am

Don't put neat antifreeze in the system. It embrittles the battery hoses and eventually starts leaks.

You want something like 1:4 or 5 dilution, use a hydrometer to check it has an adequate amount in.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:45 pm

The orginal stuff was neat though wasnt it ?? I thought you mentioned it was once ??

Certainly didnt seem very watered down in my van.

The replacement I'm running is watered down to the required spec .

Chris

EVan

Postby EVan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 pm

ChrisB wrote:The orginal stuff was neat though wasnt it ?? I thought you mentioned it was once ??

The dealers always seemed to put it in neat, yes. I don't know how they were supplied originally.

cianof

Postby cianof » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm thinking about replacing the antifreeze in my van.

From where do you drain the antifreeze?

How much antifreeze is needed for a refill?

Thanks

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Is there any reason for you to do this ???

Personally I wouldnt unless you've lost a lot, I only replaced mine due to the fact I lost a lot due to a battery change and the new/second hand batteries appeared to have a different anti freeze in them, so rather than mix it I flushed the whole system for about 30+ mins with a hose pipe and then re-filled.

Our antifreeze shouldnt need replacing I wouldnt have thought, its not like when its in a car and goes through the huge temp changes.

ChrisB

cianof

Postby cianof » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Ah okay, that's good news. 1 less job to do.

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”