Tyres

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
evanmjones

Tyres

Postby evanmjones » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 am

After a year of driving one I had a thought the other day - Is there a recommended low rolling resistance tyre for the Berlingo? I've just been bunging any old van tyre on it.

Evan

ChrisB

Re: Tyres

Postby ChrisB » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Good question, there are some so called energy tyres which are suppose to give better rollng resistance than normal tyres, but personally as long as the ones you have fitted are narrow and can be blown up nice and hard 45-50psi (check the wall of the tyre for max loading and inflation) then I'm not sure paying the extra for so called "green" low rolling resistance tyres is worth it.

From memory once your approaching 30mph and above wind resisitance is causing much more of a problem than tyre resistance.

It will be interesting to see what people are running......I'll start...

Avon Avanza AV10 http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/van/avanza-av10
165/70/14 @ 55psi (which is their max)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:10 am

I Had a pair of Continental Van tyres on the front of mine, poor tracking saw them off. My other van had a set of cheap car tyres on it and they were poor on corners as they have much softer construction.
I have a full set of Michelin Agilis 61 for my multispace ( A couple of weeks from being on the road)
The main difference seems to be that Van tyres having a much stronger construction are able to cope with the weight easier, and spread on the road much less. I like the idea of the more commercial tyres, like Chris has Avons, and the Agilis 61 or the original fitment XCL tyres. The van tyres like the continental (Eco or not) have a car tyre style design, and I dont think they are so good. Also Michelin do a van tyre like this. I have used some of these, and they were OK, no worse than the Continental.
For life expectancy I think the big issue is the front suspension bushes, the simple steel cased ones are far too compliant, and PSA now have a much sturdier alluminium version (You need bigger thread bolts to fit it on the short ones) which seem sto be less compliant, so giving much better handling and better tyre wear.

Being tight of pocket, I always buy previously used tyres, of a good make rather than cheap new tyres. The new cost of the Agilis 61 is about £90, so you can get therough number of sets of cheaper ones for the same cost.

Matador do a 165 70 14 van tyre which is much like the Michelin Agilis61 and are well thought of in the tyre trade (so Im told) but at about £30 each a better option.
Grumpy-b

cianof

Postby cianof » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 am

Here's what I bought for my van:

Item: Continental EcoContact 3 165/70 R14 81T (Su)
Quantity: 4
unit price net: 46.34 EUR (56.30 EUR brutto)

----------------------------------------
Total amount net: 185.35 EUR

I bought my tyres from the Irish branch of this site:
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/

Cost me another 50 for balancing and fitting.

EVan

Postby EVan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm

I had the same tyres as Cian on mine, they lasted 4 years and something like 50,000 miles.

No problems with them, quiet and very grippy. I'm sure something better for rolling resistance can be found though.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

EVan do i remember reading somewhere that you found that you lost some range all of a sudden when you first fitted them, just wondered if it came back once the new'ness wore off the tyres and they hardened up a bit or if it turned out to be something else ?

ChrisB

EVan

Postby EVan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Yes, I'm not convinced it ever regained that.. It was on super-inflated, nearly bald michelin X van tyres to start with which wasn't really sustainable. Great milage though!

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:36 pm

Ah interesting, so what sort of range drop did you notice ?? and would you say it was/is down to the new tyres being softer and grippier, which is what I am thinking.

I'm just thinking, I need to look at getting some new tyres in the near future and I'm looking around for some nice hard compound tyres and I'm trying to decide if its worth looking if its only going to add a mile or so, but if its 5+ miles then its worth looking at.

ChrisB

tim.strutt

Re: Tyres - check them

Postby tim.strutt » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:32 am

We use Michelin Energy saver 175/65r14's. - I used to use Michelins years ago on a high mileage Diesel I ran and found it improved economy by a few % with no loss of traction/ride. Since then I always use Michelins.

I mention the size, as we used to swap around tyres/wheel, mostly due to the number of punctures we seem to pick up due to our unmettled track/farmyard... One day I asked for a couple of tyres to be replaced to find THREE different size of tyres on that one van varying from 165 to 185's! :oops: Not only is this illegal, but apparently 185's are so large for Berlingos they can foul the wheel arch.

Its also worth mentioning that tyres have a safe life of six years, any longer and research has found that they can start to loose structural integrity - something to consider on any little used EV's, especially if you tend to run them very close to the max PSI rating for the tyres. 47psi max for the Michelins, I run ours at 44 and drive accordingly....

You can find out when a tyre's manufactured by looking for a 4 digit code on the wall of your tyres (it may only be "stamped" on one wall and so be hidden depending on which side of the tyre is facing you). For instance the michelins I've just checked are marked 2509 - the 25th week of 2009.

ChrisB

Re: Tyres - check them

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:34 pm

tim.strutt wrote:
Its also worth mentioning that tyres have a safe life of six years, any longer and research has found that they can start to loose structural integrity - something to consider on any little used EV's, especially if you tend to run them very close to the max PSI rating for the tyres. 47psi max for the Michelins, I run ours at 44 and drive accordingly.....

I know what your saying but to be honest with most EV's mainly trundle about at 30-40mph and thus arnt likely to fail at any real speed, its not something I am be too concerned about.

The last time I needed to change one of mine was due to it showing signs of perishing and I'm pretty sure it was well over 6yrs old, certainly looked like it :lol:

ChrisB

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”