Plug Getting Hot

If you own a Electrique or any of the other PSA range of vehicles then look here for your answers and post your questions or general views here
vincent7

Plug Getting Hot

Postby vincent7 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 am

Hi,

Does anyone know about this?

When I plug the berlingo into a socket in my garage (normal domestic supply) the plug gets hot. I noticed the about a week ago a small brown scortch mark at one of the terminals on the socket. The plug appeared fine. This morning I unplugged the power supply (I was using the other side of the same wall socket) and noticed a very small scortch mark. Also a little of the plastic sheathing on the plug terminal has broke away.

Is this down to the supply not being adequate or some other issue?

boelle

Re: Plug Getting Hot

Postby boelle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 am

could be bad connection... if not much mistaken there has to be some kind of electrical grease on the pins...

i know from pc's that if there is a bad/half connection that is loaded to the limit that can make pin hot and even melt it... not sure if this would apply here also but logic says it's the same
Help me build a big local network: http://gogetfunding.com/project/big-local-network
Best Pizza In Town: www.pizzaløg.dk

ChrisB

Re: Plug Getting Hot

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm

Normally a sign of a poor quality socket and or plug.

The Berlingo draws 13amps for a good 5hrs if its flat, I would recomend fitting a good quality MK plug, and replace the socket with another good quality socket, maybe a metal clad one.

I've seen and heard of plugs and sockets totally melting due to the load the berlingo draws.

Yes the plugs will get quite warm/hot due to the high load going through them, some have moved to the 16A carvan type plug and socket but this can prove tricky if you want to plug in else where.

Change the plug and socket for a high quality one and while they will get warm/hot it wont cause any major issues, if not you "could" have more rather dire issues :shock:

I use a MK plug (actually quite an old one with wrap round terminals) and a MK masterseal outside 13a socket and no problems in 4-5yrs 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Citroen Berlingo Electrique or other PSA vehicles”