Starting from scratch

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
floydster
Site Staff

Starting from scratch

Postby floydster » Fri May 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Now's probably a good time to ask with all the new members joining.

I have a multimeter and a toolkit. What parts should I start hoarding to convert a car to an EV and how do I bolt it all together.

Having never done this before I'd imagine it's just like a toy car but on a bigger scale with the accelerator pedal working a pot to adjust the speed.

So how out am I and how many parts do I really need for a basic conversion.

Floydster (clueless)

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 pm

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that but...

You'll need:
A donor car, in good physical condition. Don't do what I'm doing and use a rustbucket which needs restoring first!

A Controller (Which will turn the signal from your throttle pedal to a high-power drive for your motor)

A suitably large motor. This depends on the car you're thinking of converting.

A battery charger and, if you're feeling flush or using lithiums, battery management system

A DC/DC converter or a 12v auxiliary battery to power the existing 12v electrical system.

Some batteries! (Size, capacity and number depend on your budget, car, controller, motor combination)

You can do a conversion very cheaply, but there are many different options out there. At this point I'll hand over to someone who knows more than I do. I've just outlined the very basics in a very basic way... :)

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 pm

aminorjourney wrote:You'll need:
A donor car, in good physical condition.

Might have one already, but this is the easy bit.

aminorjourney wrote:You can do a conversion very cheaply

Just my price (being a Scotsman :D)

So...What did you do with the gearbox?

Floydster (I really don't have a clue but I'm quick to learn, usually)

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Fri May 25, 2007 9:05 pm

An EV is a very 'mission intensive' vehicle. You need to define the task it's going to perform before you start. Tell us what you want to achieve.

Minimum cost with new components is around £3000. You can do it for very little, but you have to be lucky and clever.

Many EVs build from scrounged components end up being 'Dick Turpin' projects (everywhere they go they hold up traffic).

Costs can spiral if you have to farm out and pay for; welding, machineing etc.

Paul

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 25, 2007 9:28 pm

I found it was better to buy a ready converted one and then make it better, that way you've got all the bits and you have something that works or is close to working to start with.

Thats just my own experience

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Fri May 25, 2007 10:29 pm

ChrisB wrote:I found it was better to buy a ready converted one and then make it better, that way you've got all the bits and you have something that works or is close to working to start with.

Thats just my own experience

ChrisB

Agreed, looks like the Enfield is the best option. Already an EV and easy to work on.

Floydster

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Sat May 26, 2007 8:05 am

Enfields can turn out to be major restoration projects.

They have a tubular steel frame (mostly heavy wall 1" square), sheet steel floorpans and aluminium bodywork. I've seen some very rotten examples. The deeply curved windscreen should be checked carefully. A replacement may be very difficult to find.

Commerial EVs of less than 1350Kg unladen are MOT exempt. Many Enfields were owned by the CEGB and used as meter reading vehicles. They were registered as commercial vehicles and were MOT exempt. This might be acceptable when they are a 'Fleet Maintained' vehicle with regular servicing and inspection, but seldom when in private hands. The MOT may be inconvenient, but it's really quite a cheap way of getting a fairly thorough inspection done.

I know of at least one accident that caused injury due to a kingpin breaking on the Hillman Imp front suspension. This would have easily been picked up during the MOT.

They're also not good at climbing hills. You really need to raise the voltage and change the back axle ratio. Finding alternative ratios for the Reliant axle is not easy and you are probably better off changing it for an Austin A35 or MG Midget axle.

I'm not trying to put you off, just go in with your eyes open.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat May 26, 2007 10:05 am

Must admit I'm not an Enfield lover Floydee :cry:

Great in there time but just a little ...........well..............naff compared to todays standards.

I love the City El for its looks and other much newer types of vehicles, but then it does come at a price.

I REALLY love my berlingo as it does show people that its a real car that can do real speeds and doesnt look as off the wall as some of the other EV's around. But again it does attract a rather high price tag.

BUT having said all that a production built vehicle will almost certainly be caperble of more range for the money than something you have built yourself and be less hassle BUT on the down side you wont have something that you can say you built yourself .

So it all depends what you want out of it ?

I have found I enjoy the driving and using of an EV more than the building, I did that with my Ford Fiesta and while it was fun it was a lot of work for something that was average in the end .

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Sun May 27, 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll sit it out and see what happens when I have the cash. I enjoy building and fixing things so I'm not too put off by a build from scratch. I just don't have a clue where to start which is why I was wondering which parts I should be looking out for.

For the moment I'll keep looking for a motor to convert my lawn mower :)

Thanks again,

Floydster

Return to “Conversions”