50mm Cable and clamps

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:32 am

You don't want the insulation melting back, or the solder wicking up the cable and losing flexability.

Good points. I've done both of those :)
You definitely need to practice first with some spare cable and terminals, but I found that by using a small blowtorch flame to heat the terminal fairly quickly, and feeding in the solder to fill all the gaps around the wire, I ended up with a neat and very solid joint. The solder does tend to wick up the cable about an inch or so, so you lose a little flexibility. The cable I used has flexible insulation, so you can pull it back about half an inch before soldering, to prevent it burning. I also fit short lengths of heatshrink insulation over the ends of the cable insulation and terminal tube after soldering to cover any small gap and give a neat finish.

As you say though, someone with no experience can produce better and more consistent results by crimping if they have access to the right tools.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:47 am

Righty then...I'll crimp the 'spade' connectors - I'll borrow the crimpers off the forklift people next door! (Poor soldering failer modes are a bit scarey!).

To solder I suppose I have to get a lot of heat very quickly into the area in order to not melt the casing, and 'll probabbly end up with a complete mess.

I will also be doing the copper tube thing in the battery terminals. The terminals I've ordered are for 60mm2, so I should have room enough for the tube (I'm running 50mm2 cable everywhere)

Hmmm, maybe this thread should be moved to the 'conversions' section now as it will be useful for other people? moderator?

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi

I'd just like to mention that all the parts i ordered from www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk turned up today, well packaged and on time.
The guy who took my order was really friendly and polite, I would recommend them. (if the battery terminal clamps aren't the type that explode, obviously)

I think i'll have teh car fully running by the middle of next week. super!

Terry

battery terminals

Postby Terry » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi geekyilli
are you looking for 12 mm to battery stud terminalls I have a selection
for standard battery's to 10mm to 25mm cable no soldering nesersery.
If this is interested drop me a line.
Terry Harding

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am

Hi Terry

Thanks for the info, but I'm all done in the crimping and battery department now, and i'm on the home straight towards daily EV driving!

Best regards

Christopher

Return to “Conversions”