Project Daydream

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
marktime

Postby marktime » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Thinking about the non-technical aspects of a conversion, I know the change would have to be declared on the registration doc and to the insurer, does a conversion need to go through SVA?

Mark

PS she passed her driving test.
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:59 pm

does a conversion need to go through SVA

The DVLA operates a points system. They allocate a certain number of points for changes to major components. If I remember rightly it's just 1 point for an engine replacement; you have to score 9 points to require an SVA.

All I had to do to retax my motorbike conversion was change the fuel classification on the V5 and get an MOT. It was surprisingly easy. The most difficult part was finding an insurer (Carole Nash are good for motorcycles).

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 pm

EVguru wrote:
If you want a lighter car, the unpopular classics are possibly a good choice, if you can find a solid one.

Try and avoid converting any car that you're going to have to do substantial work on first. It may NEVER get done.

I think that's probably fair advice, with exceptions (aren't there always) - but that's why I said solid unpopular classics. Post 73 Viva's are astonishingly undervalued, as are many post 73 classics. A few weeks ago I saw an example which could have been brought up to basically as-new, completely rust free standards with less than 2 square inches of metal. It was bangerraced, because no-one wanted it. And the number of post '73 toledos, avengers, itals that go to scrap not because they're rusty but because no one wants to buy them is insane.
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion
1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits
1996 Kanuni ETZ 251
1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:21 pm

pyoorkate wrote:If you want a lighter car, the unpopular classics are possibly a good choice,

Isn't the Minor < 800Kg?
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:29 am

Yep; but you'd have to be awfully lucky to pick up a solid minor for really cheap :)

It's not unknown... and there's quite a few part finished projects that go on ebay...
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion

1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits

1996 Kanuni ETZ 251

1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:34 am

Oi! I'm doing this electric minor thing ;)

Well, actually, I'm supposed to be - since I've not done any more than actually strip the car down :(
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:51 am

marktime wrote:Thinking about the non-technical aspects of a conversion, I know the change would have to be declared on the registration doc and to the insurer, does a conversion need to go through SVA?.

Nope, well not when I did the Fiesta

Carried out the conversion on a 1100 fiesta, filled in the change of fuel bit on the reg doc, sent it off, it came back 3 weeks later changed, took car to MOT station ( they laughed and werent quite sure what to do with it) passed a standard MOT just without imissions etc
Phoned up insurance company ( I use Flux's as very few companies can understand that and electric vehicle dosnt have a CC value for the motor :roll: ) and got it insured and drove it about.

In a F word stylee....................One Converted Fiesta ........DONE :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

marktime

Postby marktime » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:21 am

If you want a lighter car, the unpopular classics are possibly a good choice, if you can find a solid one. My Viva's about the size of a Cavalier but is only 760kg, apparently. And you can often pick up the standard Viva/Avenger/Marina/Ital for free; people don't want them - but actually I get so many compliments driving the Viva around it's astonishing.

My first car was a 72 HC viva, I never thought of it as a 'light' car!

It might have been down to the 1800 engine.

Mark
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:24 am

Thats great news....

Did you prove that you had done the conversion in any way? Receipts, photos, etc...?

I'll send off my V5 now, with change of fuel type, but I thought I had to show some proof.

Cheers

Christopher

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:00 am

The last time I did it.....

Fill in the V5C with

Fuel type; electric

and

Taxation class; electric.

Get the vehicle insured and take it for an MOT.

Then take the insurance certificate, MOT and V5C to your local DVLA office.

At this point, things can go two ways. You may be handed a tax disc and sent on your merry way, but you may be asked to take the vehicle to an inspection centre to confirm the fact that it's electric (the MOT inspector is not considered competant).
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

Return to “Conversions”