the 1500 quid challenge

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
pyoorkate

the 1500 quid challenge

Postby pyoorkate » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:05 pm

So I was talking to Nikki last night; and brought up the subject of conversions, and of cheap already-done conversions. And said that I'd ruled out the possibility of converting Brick on the basis of cost, but she should keep her eyes open for a cheap conversion that meets my needs (range of at least 40 miles (in winter), top speed of at least 65).

And I mentioned that I didn't think that you could convert a petrol car to an EV for 1500 quid (which is about the most I could possibly consider spending on a car, although to be fair I don't *actually* have that money, and it'd be partially funded by selling brick).

But her statement was, "you'd be surprised" (or words to that effect).

So my challenge is this; can it be done? Assuming that urgency is not the greatest consideration and that I'm quite happy to order from the US (using the highly favourable exchange rate) is it possible to spec a conversion for under 1500 quid? (I'm willing to daub my car in sponsorship logos, I have no shame :) )

I was expecting (in this range) to keep the gearbox (and clutch, since it's an easy thing to keep), and the car would probably weigh approx 750 kg (without the engine, but with gearbox / transmission / brakes). It does have to meet the minimum spec, which is:

- 65 mph max speed (minimum, faster'd be better since I travel on the M4 every day).
- Minimum range of 40 miles (in the dark in winter; I can't recharge at work), ideally I'd like a range nearer the distance to my mum's house (50 miles).

If it's even faintly feasible I'll dig out the drive ratios, it runs on 155/80 R13 tyres, so they're nice lowish rolling resistance. Structurally brick isn't perfect, but he's MOTable, and I've got friends in the VivaOC who've said they'll help with repairing the rust in the floorpan. The structural-chassis areas are actually not awful.

I can do the work myself to some degree, so it's really a parts-only cost. But I would imagine that the batteries'd probably come to more than my total cost, so... But hey, I thought I'd set you all a challenge :)
Last edited by pyoorkate on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion
1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits
1996 Kanuni ETZ 251
1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 pm

This is the sort of price I thought I could convert for before I found the BVS. I'm quite handy with a spanner and even when I asked my engine man to help me and when I told him I was serious about EVs, he laughed (his response was, "I know you're serious"), so I'm up for it.

The one thing I need to know and I've asked once or twice already is, what parts to I need to hoard for this type of project.

I do about ten miles a day in my Landy so I'd like to use it for my EV conversion. It has a top speed of 45mph so I'm pretty sure anything would be better.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:27 am

If you weren't fussy about where you got your parts from, and did most of the work yourself I think you could get some sort of conversion done. The biggest costs would be motor, controller, charger and batteries.

The charger could be made by hand...

Batteries wouldn't of course. You'd need to shop around for a seriously good deal - but having seen what you can do when it comes to doing stuff on a budget I reckon if anyone can do it it's you.

I suspect Brick wouldn't be a good choice though - as he's in need of welding. You probably don't want to add any more weight to him than you can at the moment with heavy lead acid batteries!

A nice solution would be... a Trabant ;)

Or possibly convert one of your bikes?

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 am

See, I've got someone who's happy to fabricate and fix all the major bits that require welding in a few days, if I go down and help (I tried to arrange it before christmas but it'll have to be next year)...

And brick seems quite a good option, aerodynamically he's not all that (being somewhat of a brick), but he should have relatively low rolling resistance, he's moderately light weight, and has lots of space for batteries. Lots of space. Also upgrade parts for suspension (should he need it) are readilly available. And he'd look *awesome* painted up like a 70's rally car.... uh, did I say that? ;)

But more seriously, do people think that it's doable in that price range (meeting the minimum requirements)- and if so can I get some advice on appropriate sizes of motors, sensible voltages and can I also curse Nikki for getting me into this idea?
Kate E

1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits

1996 Kanuni ETZ 251

Tom Thomson

conversion cost

Postby Tom Thomson » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 am

Kate
As I have not the vaguest notion who brick and quid are, my experience my not be relevant, but lack of knowlege has rarely stood in the way of my offering an opinion. I bought an '82 Dodge Ram 50 (Mitsubishi) pickup truck for $100, sold the engine and gearbox for $75 and found $1.30 under the seat. So starting with a $23.70 vehicle, I spent an additional $2300 and ended up with a daily driver which will go 15-20 miles @ 30-35 mph. I already had the charger, but spent $700 for the motor (D&D ES15A-6), $600 for the controller (Alltrax 7245), $500 for 6 12V marine batteries and another $500 for V-belt drive, contactors, thottle pot, fuse, gauges, wires & terminals and various odd bits. To summarize, I think you might just be able to do it - or not - depending on who quid is.

Tom Thomson
Indiana

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 am

Tom, Brilliant Post ;)

Quid is the UK slang for Pounds Sterling ;)

Don't suppose you have any photos or videos of your conversion do you?
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Quid is to Pound as Buck is to Dollar

Actually the Viva isn't a million miles away from the Mazda which they turned into The Zombie if you haven't come across that it's basically a 1970's saloon that's had a electric motor put in it and is about the fastest dragster doing the strips in the USA.

May 9, 2005 - John Wayland has become the first NEDRA member to race a street legal electric powered car to over 100 mph in the quarter mile, clocking in at 100.76 mph with an ET of 13.004 seconds. And at the same time beating a 375 HP V-8 Camaro in the next lane. See his latest record below (12.151 sec.)
It's also better than 2 gasoline powered porsches clocking in at 13.552 sec with a terminal speed of 154.1km/h and the 2nd at 14.041 sec and 146 km/h . . . which tells us that electric motors get a lot of acceleration early on ! . . . "The series-wound DC motor develops its highest torque at low speed"

John's car, the "White Zombie", is a 1972 Datsun 1200.
powered by dual 8 in.("Siamese 8") Warfield Dual armature series-wound motors for 200+ hp w/ 772 ft. lbs. torque! What used to be two separate 8 inch electric motors, is now one custom built motor that's 25 lbs. lighter, 7 inches shorter, and more powerful. Thanks to 'Hi Torque Electric' and 'Dutchman Motorsports'. The "White Zombie" has 20 12-volt Exide batteries and a 1400 amp Godzilla controller. In race mode, dual Kilovac Bubba contactors bypass the controller for 2500 amps of delivered battery/motor current.

Roderick Wilde
September 29, 2005
The Zombie did its best time of the night with only a two thirds charge. It turned a 12.151 second ET at 106.25 mph which is also its top speed so far. The sixty foot time was an even more impressive 1.611 seconds.

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:17 pm

Brick is a 1972 vauxhall (opel/GM) viva. :)

Thus:

Ta for the tale though; does suggest that there is the faintest hope that it might be doable.
Kate E

1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits

1996 Kanuni ETZ 251

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:34 pm

Like the AA badge. Nice touch.

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm

There's a Marina breaking for spares here:

http://tinyurl.com/yvvpk5

No engine (good) and no front suspension (not so good, but maybe you can find one somewhere)

My first car was the Marina and it's quite good, light and aerodynamic IMHO. Also it's quite rare nowadays and therefore cool from a classic car point of view, yet they often do go for very cheap. I reckon take a coupe with no engine, add motor, controller, and backseat and boot filled with batts would take those boy racers to school and give you all the range you want (albeit with a bit of a fishtailing problem :-) )

70s cars rule!

Return to “Conversions”