the 1500 quid challenge

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:17 am

Okies, so people seem to think it's a do-able thing.

Anyone got recommendations for learning about motors/controllers/batteries/ etc? or Suggestions for specs for motors/controllers/batteries (to achieve my minimum spec)?

...Thanks!

--
Kate E
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion
1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits
1996 Kanuni ETZ 251
1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:00 am

Yep, come along to one of the regional meetings. BEVoB in particular have had some very good monthly discussions this is just the sort of thing they are aimed at helping people with. If there isn't a regional group in your area then try to start one. I'ts a slow process I admit to but definately will be worth while! :)

Look in Plugged In for details of the regional groups and also to Local Groups page on the main website here

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 am

...So come and visit me for a weekend ;)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Can you convert a vehicle for £1500?

Yes.

Can you achieve your performance goals for £1500?

No, not unless you are a top rank scrounger.

You need at least a 96 volt system to give you your top speed (more like 120v to be safe if there are any hills). To achieve your range you would need to be using golf car batteries like the Trojan T105 or better still the T125. You need such a large battery pack because you should not discharge the batteries more than 80% (except in emergencies) and for reasonable battery life your normal journey should not exceed 60% or even 50% discharge.

The best price I could find off hand was for Crown batteries at £1410 (inc. vat & delivery) for a set of 16, blowing most of your budget.

If you had access to a supply of cheap (or even free) surplus/salvaged batteries things might be different. Neil Baxter did this with his Fiat 126, but had to change the batteries frequently.

The 16 Trojan T125's represent a load of about 480Kg, plus the stucture to support them. That's a big ask for many vehicles, let alone an old one. With a 320Kg load in the Scirocco, I had to upgrade the springs and dampers. I also had to replace the wheel bearings, supension bushes and top mounts, discs, drums, wheel cyclinder, and so on. I must have spent about £400 making the vehicle safe for the increased weight (and VW prices are very reasonable; £32 for a pair of vented discs for example). This was on a vehicle that required NO structural repairs and only minor paintwork.

If you were lucky enough to find a bargain like John Crayton's 205 for £500 and upgraded that battery pack, then you might come close to £1500.

Home made chargers

Battery murderers might be a better description.

It's hard to build your own charger which you can rely on to properly charge your batteries without manual intervention. I have one and I NEVER leave it on overnight. Sooner or later you will be destracted at the critical moment and your batteries will be cooked.

Even off the shelf chargers are capable of damaging batteries in some circumstances.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

electricvehicles

E-Bay batteries

Postby electricvehicles » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:48 am

Paul is quite right regarding the batteries. the price of lead has gone through the roof due to the Chinese buying up most reserves. Hence the cost of lead acid batteries. I can remember not so long ago that we were selling Dyno monoblocs for only £47 each. If only I could buy them for that now !!
Anyway check out this link. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-TROJAN-6V-DC-TR ... dZViewItem
Might still manage to be on budget.
Good luck
regards
Dave

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Must admit I'm with Paul on this one, yes its possible to have an electric vehicle for 1500 quid but not with the performance your after I feel :cry:

I must admit doing a John Crayton is your best bet, find a EV that needs some TLC and then re-fresh it in your own flavour , I did this with my fiesta and Alan Ward has given it yet another flavour with the addition of Li-ions.

I recon building from scratch can be and normally is very costly.

You could look at trying to find a broken Berlingo and re-freshing that but I will warn you the berlingo control system isnt the most friendlist :cry:

Daves right regarding LA prices :shock: its mad out there now, almost makes Li-ion a cheap option :lol: Worth looking about on Ebay for some ex UPS batteries, not ideal and you'll get some duffers but there cheapish and you can quite easliy rack up a 100ah pack at around 160v for less than 450 quid so have a look around.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:18 am

Can you achieve your performance goals for £1500?

No, not unless you are a top rank scrounger.

I'm working on that... :)

Used to be pretty good; I'd say 'watch this space', but you'd need to watch somewhere over there... ->

;)

(Runs off in an attempt to do 'stuff')
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion

1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits

1996 Kanuni ETZ 251

1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

Return to “Conversions”