Motor for China

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:39 pm

geekygrilli wrote:Completely agree that China and India are the next superpowers. I don't see how, though, the trade links that Mr. Brown has set up with China are going to provide 10,000s of jobs in the UK.

LOL well a handful of them will be the ones we lost when we gave Rover away to them and shortly we'll be building the same cars in the same factories only now they will be owned by the Chinese instead of the Japs and the Germans.

Ask yourself why no one refers to Britain as Great Britain these days. I stopped when Concorde landed the last time :cry:

hyve

Rotomag

Postby hyve » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:03 am

I shall also be interested in how you get on with the Indians, geekygrilli. I've tried a couple of times to download their pdf on Sepex motors and it doesn't work. Since other sites' pdf files do come through OK, I doubt it's just my old computer. But in theory this ought to be a good source so keep us informed.
Thanks,
Peter Ph

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi hyve

I had a few problems with thir pdf file, it only downloaded when it was the only application on my computer, on abot the 10th attempt (so I printed it of straight away).

I'll let you know - hopefully I'll have a reply waiting on my work e-mail tomorrow.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 am

Wow - they replied quickly. For the 72v motor they quoted me 855 USD, which is the same as Advanced DC. This does not include shipping.

Shipping from America comes in at nearly £400, which is a bit much.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 am

Got a price from Rotomag for $1535, all in, for a 72v motor.

ADC 96v, if bought from EVparts.com costs $965, for the L91-4003, and I have a shipping quote for £223, call it $500, thats $1465 all in. So its cheaper to buy from America, and I'll get a 'better' motor.

There is an ADC agent in teh UK, but the name of Maurice Matthews, I e-mail him, and if he imports many at a time I can reduce the shipping cost.

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Do you know if you're likely to be hit for import duty on top of those prices? I've bought a few small items from the states and it seems a bit hit and miss whether you get charged.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:56 pm

I dunno, but with teh shipper I have found its cheaper to send two items less than 25kg each, than one item more than 25kg!

Each 25kg is £89, and over 25kg is £223, so when it comes to it, i might get them to split the armature and can. I might then be able to get around duty because they are spare parts rather than one whole 'product'.
I know my brother got around paying duty when bringing back a mountain bike from the USA in parts.

However, if the agent gets them in for a reasonable price it'll all be fine.

My thinking is: EVparts have about a 100% mark-up on the motors (which I don't begrudge), so the agent, who is effectively employed by ADC must be able to sell at the same price or less than evparts. Or AVT sell their M2 motor for £1400, and they must have a 100% mark up too, so I should be able to somehow get the motor for about £700.

EVguru

Postby EVguru » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm

The last time I bought something from EVParts (Wilde EVolutions at the time) it cost about $300 to ship (airfreight) the big GE motor (80Kg?) I used in the Scirocco.

That time they did the export paperwork themselves and shipped direct, but I don't think they will do this anymore.

Don't be sure you can get a better price on an ADC dealing direct. The price breaks are such that you need to order in batches of 25 to get a good deal.
Paul

http://www.compton.vispa.com/scirocco/
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:00 pm

They said they'll post, but they quoted £400. i am slowly getting the shipping quotes down. I'm at around £80 now, by sea :D

I'll wait on the agent's reply before ordering, though.

hyve

Motor suppliers

Postby hyve » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 pm

Thanks for passing on your results re Rotomag; disappointing really. I thought India was supposed to be cheaper.
I'll also be interested in how you get on with ADC's UK agent. I am looking for a motor still, but not at £8-900 with duties etc.
Peter Ph

Return to “Conversions”