Morris Minor Traveller

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
julian295

Morris Minor Traveller

Postby julian295 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:13 pm

I just happen to have a morris traveller sitting in the barn waiting for some attention & have been thinking about converting it.

It weighs about 800kg. Can anyone tell me how much motor power I will need to drive it at up to 50 mph?

Many thanks

Julian

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:48 am

Hi julian

From what I have learned from EVguru... i think you'll need a high voltage (96v +) system, and a controller that can handle up to 20kW.

Looking at production models and EValbum.com, 48v systems don't seem to do more that 40mph.

I am trying to get hold of a 96v ADC motor from the USA, if you're interested maybe we can reduce price and delivery charge by getting two at the same time?

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:31 am

Gulp. Well I have a spare set of bits from Hebe plus a fair few tears and years of minor motoring. I was gong to convert Hebe but shes just too far gone. I'd think the first port of call would be to check the chassis. I would also consider some of the strengthening kits from JLH motorsport, who convert moggies into very fast cars. ( I used to own one of eight K-series Travellers fit for 130+ mph) These kits would help spread the load out. Of course, I'd also recommend modified LCV leaf springs at the rear. They have extra leaves in them to take battery weight. However, you'd need to modify the bushings to fit the smaller mounts.

For the front end, updated torsion bars should sort you out.

Motor wise I'd try to match power at the wheels as if it were a 1098 engine.

Nikki.

( shedding a tear for her poor old car)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

julian295

Postby julian295 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks for the replies

Christopher: Sounds like a good idea. Let me know prices & we'll go from there.

Nikki: So what is the equivalent of the 1098 for an electric motor?

Many thanks
Julian

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:24 am

for the motor you're looking at £450 - £600, check out the EVparts website and postage in the region of £100.

http://www.evpartsgo.com/cat-96+to+192+ ... Motors.htm

julian295

Postby julian295 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Christopther

Which model of motor were you thinking of?

Julian

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:24 am

Something along these lines: Motor, Advanced DC #L91-4003, 6.7"
At 96v its 13HP continuous, and is said to be good for small to medium EVs. You could run it at 120v, though, which will give 16hp.

As a way to calculate all up weight, my 12v 120Ah wet lead acid batteries weigh 40kgs each, and I think a range of 25miles might just be acheivable.

I still haven't heard anything from the UK agent of ADC motors. I'm on a factory visit in Lithuania this week (wow - the wonders of modern technology!), so I will chase him early next week.

However, Mr. Taxman has taken all my money, so it won't be until the end of Feb that I will be ordering the motor; I hate Alan Hart-Davies and his blimin' posters everywhere!

Best regards

Christopher

ChopperMan

Postby ChopperMan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:42 am

Hi Guy's,

Have you considered a SEPEX motor.

Sepex motors are almost identical to traditional Series motors except for the way their field is wired and controlled. Unlike the Series motor who's armature and field windings are wired together in series, the SepEx motors field and armature windings are excited separately by special SepEx controllers that have wire leads to both the armature and the field. Separate control of the armature and field creates distinct advantages over a standard series wound motor, notably adjustable regenerative braking, higher rpm, longer power band, higher efficiency, and easy reversing.

This motor is one I have been looking at, can be used for 72V to 144V http://www.electricvehiclesusa.com/prod ... -es-31.htm

Same weight and size as the ADC motor with a 2hp higher continuous rating and 10hp lower peak, but if economy is what you need it maybe a better option. I am looking at this for a conversion myself, however my time scales put my purchase nearer the summer.

Controllers at the higher end 120V and 144V seem scarce but Sevcon do a 72V 500A controller and ZAPI do a 96V 500A. Both offer regen braking and contoller selectable reversing.

Cost wise the motor is about £500 and controllers the same.

Cheers,

Ian
Electric chopper ebike with PUMA motor (1.2kW) and 36V 20Ah LiFePO4 batteries. 23 mph & 20 mile range with no peddling (Sorry, what are peddles for?).

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:50 am

I was thinking of using an AC motor - but that's because I like AC motors ;)

There's one on Ebay.com at the moment in the states with a current price of $800. It's got less than 24 hours left to go! It's the same one they used in the Ford Rangers and would take the moggie way over 70!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 am

The flatter torque curve of AC motors makes it look as if they're the way to go, but aren't the inverter controllers very expensive?

Return to “Conversions”