EV Power connectors

Have you made or bought a converted vehicle if so this is for you
Ashev

EV Power connectors

Postby Ashev » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi All,

Having chosen and purchased my 'rolling shell' vehicle, I'm now looking at getting the bits I need to get my conversion under way.

I'm pretty sorted on most of the bits I need, but currently I'm stuck on what will be the best kind of connector for the charging connection to the EV from the mains.

Following tradition I'm thinking of putting the 'charge socket' in the fuel cap area of the car. Does anybody have any comments on using 'weatherproof' connection system such as the 'caravan power socket'?

Are these overkill? Is there a more common (particularly in the uk) connector which other people have used?

Ta in advance.

Ashev

Postby Ashev » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:54 am

Just realised that there is a 'Conversions' forum, could this post be moved please?

jonathan jewkes

Postby jonathan jewkes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:18 am

The choice seems to be between the blue 16A plug/sockets that you illustrate, or standard domestic 13A sockets. I don't think that you are likely to find any other type of socket to charge from. Public charging points will almost certainly have either 13A or 16A sockets (or both if you are lucky).

If you choose the 16A system, it is a good idea to make up an adaptor cable so that you can use a 13A outlet - means that you can use anyone's house in an emergency.

You can have whatever you like to connect the charging cable to the car. (I believe that the berlingos etc have their own special connectors).
But I have found that there is a good variety of plugs and sockets in the 16A range (fixed, floating, flush fitting etc).

I don't know what charger you will be using, but you may find that it draws a full 3kW or perhaps a bit more - which can be a little over the 13A rating of a domestic plug. Probably won't blow the fuse but it might get quite warm.
If you are installing a dedicated charging socket outdoors at home it might be best to go for the 16A socket. You should incorporate an RCD device into the spur. The 16A are designed to be weatherproof, though you can also get 13A weatherproof sockets (some have integral RCDs).
Jonathan Jewkes
Daily EV user for 10years - an enthusiast and also a realist

qdos

Postby qdos » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Ok I've moved the thread as requested :)

Return to “Conversions”