State of BVS

General BVS related area
Dave Corbett

State of BVS

Postby Dave Corbett » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:06 am

I know no one personally at BVS, but assume that it was concern and not ego that upset Kelvin. Dedicated enthusiasts naturally may sometimes experience a conflict of interest...it's all to do with integrity and trust, my gut feeling is that John Lilly and Kelvin had integrity and trust in plenty. I feel Kelvin's apology was more for the sake of BVS than actually apologising. So what has gone wrong, is Mary's recently aquired post a paid one, do we have in her an enthusiast? I feel not, and couldn't find her website to see for myself. I am a normal member and a real battery vehicle enthusiast and believed others to be.
The half dozen A4's stapled together as Vol 33 No 2 was a joke and I would like an open discussion on the matter in this forum as I intend to leave the society believing it to be evolving into a club with a leadership of self centred fools requiring a shot of my EV's voltage up their powdered derriere's. Or am I wrong? Will this indeed be posted? Let's see.

FlossyThePig

Postby FlossyThePig » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:49 pm

We now have three threads caused by the "Parish magazine"
http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1714
http://www.batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1715
Mike and I posted at about the same time.

When I attended the non AGM (after visiting the Stoeleigh kit car show) I got the distinct impression that certain members of the old guard did not like the way the club was going. That is a more modern with a more professional image.

Was the recently joined member referred to in John's resignation letter the same who caused Kelvins outburst?

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Oh no, not again (as the petunias said to the whale). I feel compelled to counter these groundless accusations against my girlfriend and the other members of the BVS comittee. I will take Dave's post apart line by line.

Dave Corbett wrote:I know no one personally at BVS,

That's a shame. Why not organise a local meet in your area? I think the most valuable thing the society can do is bring people together (it has other uses, too).
but assume that it was concern and not ego that upset Kelvin.

Not from what I saw. Kelvin's actions went beyond concern into psychosis (in my opinion)
Dedicated enthusiasts naturally may sometimes experience a conflict of interest...it's all to do with integrity and trust,

Whu?
my gut feeling is that John Lilly and Kelvin had integrity and trust in plenty.

John and Kelvin have both done a lot for the BVS. I don't dispute this.
I feel Kelvin's apology was more for the sake of BVS than actually apologising.

Me too. I think Kelvin was unrepentant in his abuse of trust.
So what has gone wrong,

Lots of little things, but nothing a bunch of enthusiasts can't fix.
is Mary's recently aquired post a paid one,

Ha-ha! No, no-one get's paid by the BVS except the printers.
do we have in her an enthusiast?

More than you can possibly imagine.
I feel not,

You started by saying "I know no-one personally at BVS". Now you think you know Mary is not an enthusiast?
and couldn't find her website to see for myself.

Not sure why it is a requirement for an enthusiast to have a website, but Mary's blog is at http://saintmaryuk.livejournal.com/
I am a normal member and a real battery vehicle enthusiast and believed others to be.

Good!
The half dozen A4's stapled together as Vol 33 No 2 was a joke

Personally I think the CONTENT of the BVR is good. Brian's layout style, however, leaves a lot to be desired.
and I would like an open discussion on the matter in this forum

You are not alone. Chris has (and I have) asked in other threads for an end to unpleasant discussions. The mood of the forum members is for open discussion here, and on reflection I think they were right to say so.
as I intend to leave the society believing it to be evolving into a club with a leadership of self centred fools requiring a shot of my EV's voltage up their powdered derriere's.

You can leave, or you can get involved yourself. I think one thing the society does which isn't mentioned often enough is providing information for, and bringing together members who, do NOT have access to the internet. You have forgotten how lucky you are (again, in my opinion)
Or am I wrong?

IMO, yes The committee, old and new, is trying to do the right thing for the society and BEVs in Britain. They are all volunteers, enthusiasts, and imperfect humans. They need the help of the members to do this.
Will this indeed be posted? Let's see.

Looks like you got past the censors.

Then Flossy the pig wades in with
FlossyThePig wrote:When I attended the non AGM (after visiting the Stoeleigh kit car show) I got the distinct impression that certain members of the old guard did not like the way the club was going. That is a more modern with a more professional image.

There are some who feel this way, quite possibly. Their opinions carry just as much (or little) weight as the more forward thinking members like yourself. I believe the comittee is trying to run the BVS as a democracy.
Was the recently joined member referred to in John's resignation letter the same who caused Kelvins outburst?

No, I think the accusations came after Kelvin's outburst. Kelvin seems to have taken against Mary all on his own. I can't guess why.
Tim Crumpton

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Tim, comments like:

Tim wrote: Kelvin's actions went beyond concern into psychosis (in my opinion)

and:

Tim wrote:I think Kelvin was unrepentant in his abuse of trust.

don't quite gel with your later comment:

Tim wrote:Lots of little things, but nothing a bunch of enthusiasts can't fix.

in my view.

Whilst your loyalty to Mary is admirable, your remarks seem to do little to promote harmony on here, in my view.

Can we please put this episode behind us and not continue to drag it up? After all, a resolution was reached to which both sides agreed.

Jeremy

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 pm

As my name is being dragged up in this thread I thought I better correct a few things that are being said here

I very much apologised to Mary. We spoke at length several times on the phone I was not just playing lip service to the BVS

Mary is not paid nor is anyone in the Society (at least to my knowledge)

Mary is every bit as much an enthusiast as any one of the members of the Society.

What went wrong sadly was that we (the Society) just all have different opinions as to how to promote the Society and EVs and through frustration things had to change one way or another. What is happening now is that change, for better or for worse? Well that's a question only individual members are able to decide upon as it's a personal opinion. The committee are doing what they believe is right .

Now I know this is a bit hypochritical of me to ask this but can we just debate the magazine and the direction of the BVS and not get personal in this.

Please don't let us have others follow my footsteps.

Dave Corbett

Postby Dave Corbett » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 am

Dear Tim, thanks for the time and effort taken to reply to my thread, however, my "Knowing no one personally at BVS" is purely due to geographical reasons and I still supported the society. I could only see what was happening which didn't enthuse or fill me with confidence. I gave a window of opportunity to explain "the other side" of the situation openly to all members. This was wasted being more rhetorical than factual, as the secretary's boyfriend that may be admirable but as a BVS member was ill concieved. The possible "conflict of interest" I spoke of was of John's not Kelvin's situation. So me personally then, no, I never forget how lucky I am, though I prefer to call my situation exceptionally fortunate being well over half a century old, having good health, an amazing wife, family, friends and enjoying a superb lifestyle...and the internet as you rightly pointed out. I appreciate your quote: "you can leave", coming from a member such as yourself with clout, I will, thanks. I was still open to the counter explanation. I have been wrong in the past and no doubt I will be in the future, I accept my failings. It may be useful for you to take a leaf from Jeremy and learn diplomacy who I also thank for his input. I wish to apologise to John and Kelvin for any upset I may have caused but they had/have my full support and I thank you both for your service and good luck for the future. Dave Corbett.

MB

Postby MB » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:49 pm

Well, there goes another member...

I wonder how many people will renew their membership in April?
My new book is out: The 2011 Electric Car Guide is available from Amazon and all good bookshops.

electricvehicles

Postby electricvehicles » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 am

In my opinion the BVS is going down the tubes quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.

I for one will NOT be renewing my membership this April.

Perhaps the Committee should hold a poll on the forum to see how many members intend to renew their membership this year ?

To my knowledge 5 people excluding myself will be leaving.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:57 pm

electricvehicles wrote:Perhaps the Committee should hold a poll on the forum to see how many members intend to renew their membership this year ? .

Your wish is my command :wink:

Cast your vote HERE

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 pm

electricvehicles wrote:In my opinion the BVS is going down the tubes quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.

I for one will NOT be renewing my membership this April.

Sounds like we're going over old ground, again

ChrisB wrote:
electricvehicles wrote:Perhaps the Committee should hold a poll on the forum to see how many members intend to renew their membership this year ? .

Your wish is my command :wink:

Cast your vote HERE

ChrisB

I've already rejoined after leaving then giving them a second chance but it's only a matter of time, as someone else mentioned, before another organisation comes along and does make an impact.

I offered to help with the web site a couple of years ago and received the following response back: -

not published wrote:xxxxx wrote:

>The web site will be sorted as soon as we can get the url back off a member
>who is not doing as he is told ,but he his also the person who does the
>printing so it is tricky !
>I xxxxxx xxxxx have the web space sorted and a new site up and running as
>soon as we can get the url back ,it is not that we cannot do it ,it is we do
>not want to cause to much trouble,If he will not sign we can not make him !

Sounds like we'll be going in circles until the internal squabbling stops. The one thing I really would like to see sorted is that the membership period should run from when you join, not April to April. I joined jate last time and ended up with a load of duplicate mags I already had, pretty sure I ended up with two new reads for my years membership :(

Floydster
I know I'm in my own world - it's OK, they know me here.

Return to “General”