A cry for help !

General BVS related area
booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:39 pm

pyoorkate wrote:Oh, and assuming it's done on the basis that if the vehicle explodes and leaves a large scorched hole in the ground I can hop back in my Viva and nip off ;-)

:D a fellow graduate from the school of "Bodge-it & Leg-it" :D
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Excellent. I'll get on that then :)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

Peter Eggleston

Forward/reverse contactor

Postby Peter Eggleston » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 pm

What you have here is a double contactor for selecting forward or reverse on your car. Malcolm is spot on with his explanation of the small wires, one contactor being on for forward and the other on for reverse.
I believe there should be 4 large cables rather than just 3. There should be one coming more or less directly from the battery to the contactor as well as the three shown which come from the motor. There will be one cable from one of the A ( armature) terminals on the motor to the contactor and one from each of the S1 and S2 (field coil ) terminals to the contactor.
What the contactor does is reverse the direction of the electric current through the field coil by switching over the S1 and S2 terminals from positive to negative and thus changing the direction in which the motor turns.
The problem is my contactor is laid out different to yours, so without a circuit diagram I cannot tell you which terminals on the contactor to connect the high power cables to.
You should have been provided with a diagram when you bought the contactor.
I hope this may be of some help to you when you get a diagram but if not just ignore this.
Peter

pyoorkate

Postby pyoorkate » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:48 pm

booboo wrote:
pyoorkate wrote:Oh, and assuming it's done on the basis that if the vehicle explodes and leaves a large scorched hole in the ground I can hop back in my Viva and nip off ;-)

:D a fellow graduate from the school of "Bodge-it & Leg-it" :D

Only on my own cars, traditionally. But my electronics / electrics is vastly underused; so much so that I spent several hours staring at the Viva's wiring diagram and swearing (mind you, I've never got on with car wiring diagrams anyhow); before working out which wire it was that I wanted...
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion
1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits
1996 Kanuni ETZ 251
1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

Return to “General”