Web and Forum site status.

General BVS related area
ChrisB

Re: Web and Forum site status.

Postby ChrisB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:41 pm

timpootle wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Looks good Tim, have to admit I'm using the small Peter style as well......my eye sights not quite that bad to use the current default style ....YET :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisB

By popular consent, the default style is now called 'subsilverNormal', and is the size I created as 'smallforPeter'.

Anyone with failing eyesight like me can select the larger size by doing the following:

Click "user control panel" below the title at the top of this page.
Click "Board preferences" on the left hand menu of the UCP page.
Choose the "My board style" drop down menu in the middle of that page.

Anyone can now choose "subsilverLarge" instead, if they want to. The other choice, "prosilver", has the wrong logo and looks ugly as a result, but you can select that if it suits you.

..........or if your running MS Explorer 8 I think you can adjust the font size with the button thingy at the bottom right of the browser :wink:

That will though have the effect of changing other sites font size so you will need to adjust it back again.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:28 pm

There seems to be a glitch in the PM system somewhere. I sent one this morning and it worked fine, I received a reply. When I went to reply, it gave me this error on a white screen:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 737280 bytes) in /home/sites/batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/public_html/forums/includes/utf/data/utf_compatibility_decomp.php on line 2"

Undeterred, I tried again, with a new PM, rather than a reply, but got the same error. I then switched machines and tried to send a PM from my laptop, but got the same error message. My guess is that it's something in the forum software, rather than at my end, although I can't say that the error message means much to me!

Jeremy

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:12 pm

OK, thanks Jeremy. I will look into it.

From that error message, the fault is definitely our end not yours.
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

Problems, problems.

I haven't made any headway with Jeremy's memory fault, but another problem is now fixed, I think.

Some new users were unable to post replies, given the error message 'unable to load styles'. To fix this I have removed the 'prosilver' style and made 'subsilverNormal' the default.

If anyone had deliberately chosen prosilver, and was getting on well with it, could they please comment here so I can isolate the problem better.

Thank you for your patience.
Tim Crumpton

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:14 pm

Jeremy wrote:There seems to be a glitch in the PM system somewhere. I sent one this morning and it worked fine, I received a reply. When I went to reply, it gave me this error on a white screen:

"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 737280 bytes) in /home/sites/batteryvehiclesociety.org.uk/public_html/forums/includes/utf/data/utf_compatibility_decomp.php on line 2"

Still working on this. I put a fix in place, but Jeremy informs me that this has not worked for all PMs. Please add comment here if you have encountered the same fault. I believe the cause is a certain character typed in the message, but I haven't isolated which one yet, nor why it should throw such a wobbly.
Tim Crumpton

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Tim,

I've just tried to send Stuart another PM and this time it's worked.

I'm not at all sure what might have caused the problems over the past few days, but whatever it was now seems to be fixed, thanks.

Jeremy

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:46 pm

It's a strange fault. I managed to duplicate it once, in a PM to John O'Reilly. I was blaming the apostrophe then, but now I'm not so sure.

Glad it's working for you now. Keep me posted if you see it fail again and I'll have another poke.
Tim Crumpton

Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:37 pm

Tim,

I've cracked it! Having spent over an hour trying to send a PM to Stuart, I've discovered that the error message is triggered by the "£" sign.

Substituting the word "pounds" for the "£" sign allows the PM to be sent.

Bizarre or what?

Jeremy

timpootle

Postby timpootle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Strange, yes. Thanks for isolating this Jeremy.

I will try and fix the problem next week, armed with this new information.
Tim Crumpton

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 am

Apologies for the nasties that appeared yesterday evening all over the boards, they have been removed and now currently new users can no longer approve themselves they will need to go via an Admin , hopefully this will minimise future nasties for the time being.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “General”