Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
MaryRCrumpton
Site Staff

Re: Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

Postby MaryRCrumpton » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
MaryRPerkins wrote:I have spoken with committee and we would be very happy for you to promote the Society at the event, thank you :-)
Great! Does the BVS have any stick-on logo's or other collateral?

I anticipated that question...

Check your email :D

Mary.
BVS North-West Coordinator, based in Manchester.
Contact via Text/Phone on 07751 696 055

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:43 am

For anyone wishing to drive through London on Friday night, the Congestion Charge may become an issue.

Electrically propelled vehicles are exempt but only if you pay up front a £10 admin charge using the pdf form found at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... n-form.pdf

Weekends are apparently free but any time before 6:00pm you will get caught.

Considering they have full access to the DVLA records, why do we need to register?

Typical bureaucratic nonsense which is also reflected in requiring to register for "free charge points" by paying an admin charge of over £300, as mentioned earlier.

I haven't had any response from either Eon or Npower regarding sponsoring my car which shows what these generating companies think of energy conservation.
Talk one thing and do another.
I would have thought it very cheap advertising.

Will stump up the money myself this afternoon if still no response.
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

nigel.tegg

Postby nigel.tegg » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Rustybkts, Can I suggest for long trips, you put this (or similar) in the boot, usually they can run on SVO (straight Vegi oil) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-Diesel-Gene ... 41528a9da1 It produce 6kw, which I'm sure would allow to cruise on the motorway at a good speed as long as the fuel lasts (plus a full charge on the batteries) I have yet to finish rebuilding my EV (Enfield 8000) but have another one (minus electrics) which hope to experiment with more, or sell to someone who wants a project that is already registered legally as a EV! (since 1975).
As an electronic engineer myself, I suggest you select a generator hence:-
* Measure your EV's power at an even speed on the motorway
* Add some on for losses in charging
* Select a diesel (pref) or petrol (urgh) generator of equal or slightly more power
* Re-route the exhaust out of the car!
* Pop it in when you want to make a journey longer than your battery range
This is not a new idea, the Tzero had a detactable charging trailer that used a powerbike engine!
Nigel

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Nice idea Nigel, sadly wont work/not practicle , I run a 6.5kva diesel genny in the back of my Berlingo for when I'm outside its regular range and I need a recharge, theres no hope of it actually running the van while driving, then theres the noise, I've got a boxed so called silent one and you REALLY dont want to be in the van or even near the back of it for any real length of time without ear defenders, an open frame one is even noiser :shock:

I'm not convinced about the output of that one on e-bay either, its only got 9hp engine, mine 10.5hp and it just can do 6.5kva peak, 6kva cont. I suspect that one is more like 5kva peak, 4.5kv cont.

EV's suck huge amounts of power when they are running, 60mph and the berlingo is pulling a good 100 amps, thats 16kw :shock: even a 6kva genny isnt really going to make a dent in that I'm afraid.

Its a nice idea but unless you fit something thats going to generate 25kw then I think its not going to work :( looking forward to hearing more about your Enfield 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Has anyone ever seen the boot space I have left? The only place I could put a gene is in the passenger seat. :lol:

Regarding the power requirements, it is surprising how much energy is used to push my little car along. I note around 20-25A on a flat road at 40-50 mph is fairly normal.
This equates to at least 6kw but I do not drive like that. I am usually doing a "bat out of hell" impression using far more. :twisted:
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:03 pm

rustybkts wrote:Regarding the power requirements, it is surprising how much energy is used to push my little car along. I note around 20-25A on a flat road at 40-50 mph is fairly normal.
This equates to at least 6kw but I do not drive like that. I am usually doing a "bat out of hell" impression using far more. :twisted:

Crumbs, what voltage are you running at to get that :shock: I work it out to around 240vdc, or I've worked it out wrong :?

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:22 am

320v nominal pack voltage with 94 x 50Ah cells.
I limit the inverter current to 140A for a max 30kw power but the motor is capable of over twice that.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

nigel.tegg

Postby nigel.tegg » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi guys, luckily my EV is very small, 6kw would run it (at a lower speed) and of course, if you're away from mains power but have SVO! I have already asked my engineering manager whether I can plug it in at work, and he was worried about how much elec. it would use! When I calculated a top-up at about <£1, he wasn't too bothered. It looks good on their "green sheet" if they have a charging point and a space that says "EV only"!!! there is a 32A 3ph. (red) skt right near the back door where I normally park, so I thought of using two phases for 2x 3kw 57A 57VDC server PSU's that I was going to convert to charge 1) 1x for 48V battery 2x for 96V battery (both 150A) I think it would take much phase current, as their switch mode, they're only 6.3kg each. As my work is just under halfway to brighton, I could use it as a staging point! Also, it's bit of a "grey area" putting generators in EV's, but as long as there's no mechanical connection with the wheels, and they're safe (i.e. no exhaust escaping into the car) then I think they'll let you off.
BTW, Would someone local to me (New malden, Kingston) be interested in helping with getting the first Enfield o the road, and then experimenting on the second one, it needs motor(s) batts, controller and all instruments! (the idiot I bought them off raped it of all, no doubt still sitting rotting at the back of his animal shed....)

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

Regards, Nigel 07976 177183

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:06 pm

There is nothing wrong with having a generator on an EV but you will not comply with the free tax requirements as it will be fuelled with a dirty engine.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

markedmond1

Postby markedmond1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 am

I have registered my LHD Tesla so may see you there!

Regards

Mark

Return to “Events”