Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
ChrisB

Re: Brighton to London "Future Car Challenge"

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:39 pm

rustybkts wrote:Very few private entries either but it should be cosier that way, more room at the bar although the works entries may be on expenses. :D

You havent seen the price of the beer at this bar yet :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:02 am

Beer? It will be Pimms and lemonade on the Brighton run. :lol:

I think you should watch "Genevieve" to get into the spirit of the thing.

No holds barred, no quarter to be given. Have a sneaky look at the other competitors cars and turn the electric heaters on!! I'm joking of course.
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 pm

PRESS RELEASE: Boris Johnson Speaks Out for Future Car Challenge after Trial Run Success

On Saturday 9 October, five cars and crews took part in a trial run of the Royal Automobile Club's new RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge, which will take place on Saturday 6 November. Being held for the first time this year, the event is a very public showcase for low-energy impact vehicles and the Royal Automobile Club believes this will be the largest event of its kind to be held on UK roads.

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: ‘The Future Car Challenge is set to show off a fantastic range of greener transport choices. I want London to be leaders in the take up of vehicles fuelled by low polluting technologies. This is why we are working hard to make London the electric vehicle capital of Europe to improve our air quality, reduce traffic noise and contribute significantly to cutting carbon emissions.’

The trial run was an opportunity to reconnoitre the route and test the logistics of the event. The five crews comprised entrants in the event as well as members of the organising team and the vehicles included a Vauxhall low-emission Astra, Nicholson McLaren Citroën Nemo Electric van plus Toyota Prius and Auris hybrid cars. They assembled at the Metropole Hotel, Brighton – the finishing point for the Emancipation Run of November 1896, an historic event that promoted and demonstrated the capabilities of the then recently invented horseless carriage and which included three electric vehicles. Harry Lawson was a founding member of the 1896 Emancipation Run and it was appropriate that his direct descendant, Henry Lawson, took part in the trial run and has entered the RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge with his own Toyota Prius.

The electric vehicles used were charged for the run at the hotel and the crews started on Saturday morning from Madeira Drive Brighton, following the exact route of the November Challenge, and finishing in Waterloo Place London close to the Royal Automobile Club’s headquarters in Pall Mall. For some members of the crews, it was their first experience in an electric vehicle – thus recreating the pioneering spirit celebrated each year by the famous London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. Ben Cussons, Chairman of the Motoring Committee, said: 'It was an important, very useful, exercise and interesting to drive an electric car for the first time. It was also exciting to see the team from Imperial College in action, defining the energy measurement process and really understanding what the Future Car Challenge is all about. We all learned lessons and there was a spirit to the event as drivers tried to maximise their driving efficiency...'

The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is open to the latest electric, hybrid and low-emission passenger cars, light commercial vehicles and motorcycles. Trophies will be awarded in different categories for vehicles judged to have made the least energy impact during the 60-mile Brighton to London run. To ensure that the energy use of each vehicle is measured accurately, special Data-logger units have been designed and produced by leading British technology companies, GEMS and Flybrid Systems. . These devices were fitted to the cars used on the trial run and performed faultlessly.

Each vehicle of type EV and HFEV entered in the RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge will be fitted with a similar device which will be removed for analysis at the finish. Fuel consumed will also be accurately measured and post-graduate students from Imperial College London will have just one hour to download all the information to calculate the winners in each category. Further, in-depth, analysis will be carried out by the students back at Imperial College London and each entrant will receive a comprehensive breakdown of the performance of their vehicle. A number of the Imperial College students were involved in the trial run.

By the closing date of 30 September, there were more than 60 entries, including EV, HEV, PHEV, HFEV and low-emission ICE vehicles from the majority of the leading vehicle makers of the UK, for the RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge – an extremely strong and rewarding endorsement of this inaugural event.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:49 am

I read the one with the photos.
Its a pity the van (the only proper electric vehicle) was hidden and barely mentioned.

However it is done, an ICE will never be "energy efficient".

We must make sure that on the day that ELECTRIC rules the day and that the old tech stop/start recuperative ICE's are in the background.

By the way Kevin, its a good job we have "cut and paste" as your fingers would be rather tired by now. :lol:
EV Lotus Elise with 30/67Kw Siemens ex Ford Ranger motor
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Electric Ride On Mower (Lynch Power!)
Bosch beard trimmer

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:04 am

rustybkts wrote:By the way Kevin, its a good job we have "cut and paste" as your fingers would be rather tired by now. :lol:
Yeh... just wish they'd update the BLFCC website then I could just post a link :roll:
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:22 am

Yes, they are very slow and it has gone through a few major design changes as well which is odd.

Designed by committee I guess!

By the way, have you received the logging cables yet as the MGTF guy has. I may be travelling soon so I could do with them asap.

Also I would like some info about the local hotels they are supposed to be organising and the dinner afterwards. If its black tie, that's about all the Elise can carry and the Tesla has about the same space last time I looked. :)
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

retepsnikrep

Postby retepsnikrep » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:26 am

rustybkts wrote:IWe must make sure that on the day that ELECTRIC rules the day and that the old tech stop/start recuperative ICE's are in the background.

I would Love to have taken you up on this challenge :D (My modified lithium Insight) might be hard to beat IMHO of course :lol: I'll have to save up for next year and give everyone a damn good thrashing on combined energy consumption, belts off, trousers down, al la Black Adder :wink: :lol:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

rustybkts

Postby rustybkts » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:23 pm

The entrants have now received a bit more information regarding starting times and news features etc.

It appears that the Daily Telegraph will have a Saturday supplement printed exclusively for this event which should be of great value getting the EV word out to the general public.

Also, on Friday evening at 6pm the BBC will be screening a live broadcast about the event which again is good for EV motoring as long as the ICE's are pushed to the background (some hope).

I note in the list of entries that there are at least two hydrogen powered vehicles (expensive energy?) and I wonder how they will measure accurately how much is used over the distance.
To my knowledge, you cannot rock the car to top off the tank like a liquid fuelled car. I think I will keep my distance from them! :twisted:

I guess Kevin will display the full four page article later as he is so good at it by now. :lol:

I had a peep at the Vintage Car London to Brighton web site and considering it is organised by the same people, we seem to be in the cheap seats regarding the www.futurecarchallenge.com site.

I guess an apprentice did that one.
Sinclair C5 twin battery
2 x Zike bikes
Bosch beard trimmer

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:32 pm

UK debuts for RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge http://fb.me/Lq5hB62M

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Honda JAZZ Hybrid makes it's UK debut at RAC Future Car Challenge http://fb.me/MyzUz18P

Return to “Events”