No Power in my Car

Do you own or use a EV. Then this is a good place to discuss things.
mattcarr

No Power in my Car

Postby mattcarr » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Just went out to use the C1 and it has got very limited power. The car is showing a 100% charge and I can hear all the usual clicks and when the ignition is turned on. The car barely creeps forwards or backwards under it's own power. I quickly jacked up a front wheel and it will only put 10amps to the motor and the wheel will spin up to 20mph.

Does any one have any ideas at all?

ChrisB

Re: No Power in my Car

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Oh dear that doesnt sound good :shock:

mmmmm I wonder if this is a problem the other owner has had ???

I wonder if a complete shut down and restart might help i.e take all the power off everything.

I will say I wouldnt have a clue how to disconnect the traction battery etc and in what order you need to disconnect stuff, thats if it matters ???

Sounds like it gone in some sort of limp mode :?

I'd try several things like pluging the charger back in, switching on the ignition and stuff in different orders in an attempt to possible reset the controller maybe ?

ChrisB

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:04 pm

I think it is related to the BMS. I plugged in a connector the wrong way :oops: so gotta get a new box I think.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:21 pm

mattcarr wrote:I think it is related to the BMS. I plugged in a connector the wrong way :oops: so gotta get a new box I think.

Noooooooooooo you mean to say its toasted it :shock: surely they havent made it so you can connect a polarity orientated plug either way round that would be poor.

ChrisB

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:48 pm

yep, the plug with all of the battery wires can easily be plugged in the wrong way !!!!!!

I have disconnected the BMS from my car and it drives as normal again - phew !!!

I am just testing the charger to see at what voltage it stops charging at so I can at least use the car until the new BMS arrives........ or do I try to make my own ????

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I'd be very careful about using it or charging it without a BMS on those Li-ions, well unless you dont mind forking out for a new set of batts :shock:

From what I've seen Li-ions are very finiky and can go west with zero warning if over charged or undervolted, you have been warned :wink:

ChrisB

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:24 pm

I intend to keep the car in the 40% - 80% charge range, so hopefully wont stress the batteries. Here's to getting a replacement BMS as soon as possible.

dillond666

Postby dillond666 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am

Would it be worth having a look inside the BMS?
You might find it just has shorted input protection diodes or/and blown fuses.
It's a poor show that it can be connected back to front though.

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:39 pm

it certainly blew something - there was a phssst noise and a small whiff of smoke. I may well open it up and take some pictures. In fact I took some pics of it before I broke it :oops:

If I post them would you be able to see if there is something that may well have blown first?

mattcarr

Postby mattcarr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Here is a pic of the BMS. The white plug is 35 pins - 1 to 25 are incremetal woltage inputs from the pack from all of the positive posts of the batteries. pins 35, 34 and 33 are the high voltage ones, so pack positive, pack negative and mid pack voltage - never more than 90 volts. I am suspecting that the original pins 1,2 and 3 have had a high voltage put across them.
Attachments
bms.jpg
bms.jpg (233.06 KiB) Viewed 31463 times
Last edited by mattcarr on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cars,Vans and other road vehicles”