I-Miev HELP

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
ecocars

I-Miev HELP

Postby ecocars » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 am

Hi all

I'm not panicking ...but the 59 plate 14k mile I _miev i bought ,wont accept a charge at all.

1. the aux battery was dead ,so fully charged up ,and all componants look fine ,remote locking ,windows etc etc
2. the main drive battery is showing NO MILES left ...and when pluging in the charge cable (yes its working ok on other ev) nothing happens ..no fan clicking in ...nothing ...question is
1. is there a 'reset' switch /fuse i need to check ?
2. is this serious ,and have i been had !!??

Your help on here asap would be appreciated

Kevin Sharpe

Re: I-Miev HELP

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm

ecocars wrote:2. the main drive battery is showing NO MILES left ...and when pluging in the charge cable (yes its working ok on other ev) nothing happens ..no fan clicking in ...nothing ...question is
1. is there a 'reset' switch /fuse i need to check ?
2. is this serious ,and have i been had !!??
What charge cable is this? 13A or Type 1? I understand that some of the pre-production cars do not support the the Type 1 EVSE protocol and will only charge from a 'dumb' 13A cable.

Nikki and Mark know more about this issue... reach out on twitter.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 pm

There have been past service software upgrades that have left the vehicles unable to charge. But I think this was some time ago. Re loading the update has resolved this. I would suggest you speak to Mitsubishi / dealer. However if your car had a long time before it went for a service this could just be your problem.

Grumpy-b

ecocars

Postby ecocars » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks Grumpy b & Kevin for the advice ...its now booked in to Mitsubushi EV dealers as its on a recall for software update and 'possible failure of soldered joint on main traction battery fuse holder ,that can melt in hot conditions causing loss of drive and no ability to charge ' all under warranty ....phew fingers crossed this is the issue !

Re chargers cable Kevin , this I-miev arrived WITHOUT a cable (company who leased it went bust ...so cable left at some office ??, attempting to track it down and 395 plus vat for a new one is steep !!)its got the same ports (13 amp and fast charge ) as the C-zero (2011MY) so does this mean its a normal Mitsubishi /Nissan/Renault 10amp charger cable /block ?

regards jonathan

Grumpy-b

Postby Grumpy-b » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:11 pm

The limit is the onboard charger, which I think is limited to a 10amp capability. So it can be used on mains with any version of the j1772 to mains adaptor, ask renault, as I think theirs is quite cheap. A vivid turqoise thing it is too.
Even with a J1772 charge point the onboard charger is still quite limited, and draws no more current than on 13amp plug.

Ask the dealers what your has, Im sure they will be more than happy to tell you.
The C zero and Ion has the same systems but different interior trim etc.
The first Ion I saw, had some deftly applied pieces of printed PVC stuck over the Mitsubishi emblem on the steering wheel and Peugeot badges on the outside.

I dont think PSA had any significant changes engineered into the cars.

Grumpy-b

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 pm

ecocars wrote:Re chargers cable Kevin , this I-miev arrived WITHOUT a cable (company who leased it went bust ...so cable left at some office ??, attempting to track it down and 395 plus vat for a new one is steep !!)its got the same ports (13 amp and fast charge ) as the C-zero (2011MY) so does this mean its a normal Mitsubishi /Nissan/Renault 10amp charger cable /block ?
My understanding is that some of the early prototype cars had a Type 1 ("J1772") connector but did not implement the required protocol to use an EVSE. These cars require a 'dumb' 3 pin to Type 1 cable without the EVSE 'brick'.... they also cannot use public Type 2 Charging Stations.

I believe Nikki had a similar problem yesterday with a 'new' car that came from the CABLED EV trial... talk to Nikki and Mark (from ZCW) for more info on this issue.
Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

dpeilow

Postby dpeilow » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:13 pm

What you are describing is "Mode 1" charging. I knew that early i-MiEVs supported it, but not to the exclusion of Mode 2.

Kevin Sharpe

Postby Kevin Sharpe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

dpeilow wrote:What you are describing is "Mode 1" charging. I knew that early i-MiEVs supported it, but not to the exclusion of Mode 2.
correct... this is all second hand information and may be inaccurate... however, ZCW has seen the same story reported several times now by end users so maybe the car has an issue with Mode 2.

ecocars

Postby ecocars » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for the advise , ive rang for a price on a new cable ,and Mitsubishi have said (using the reg for ID) its £395 plus vat , so it looks like a 'normal' block type charger / lead

flaninacupboard

Postby flaninacupboard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 am

The late prototype/CABLED iMievs I've seen all use a yellow coiled cable with 3pin plug on one end and J1772 plug on the other, with NO electronics at all.

Return to “All things battery related”