Insurance advice

General BVS related area
pyoorkate

Insurance advice

Postby pyoorkate » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:19 am

Anyone got any advice for dealing with the insurance company who are writing off my mum's enfield.

I presume I need to get them to confirm that it's a category D write off (I think) - 'cos it's just water damage. Structurally it's still perfect :)

I also need to get them to agree to sell us the car back...

And a price for it to be sold back to us - is there anything else I need to do? They've written confirming they're writing the vehicle off...

--
Kate E
Kate E

1969 Morris Minor - awaiting LHD conversion
1995 MZ ETZ 251 in bits
1996 Kanuni ETZ 251
1972 (built '71) Vauxhall Viva

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:28 am

Hmmmm not sure on that one as I've not come across a flood damaged vehicle before but there's lots of them about at the moment.

I'd change the phrase "Sell" to "Compensation". You really don't want to sell them the vehicle and buy it back and technically I don't think that is actually what you are looking for either. Your insurance company is making an 'Offer' you do not have to accept it. The car is your property and they have a contract with you to pay compensation for damage or loss of use. They don't own the car.

geekygrilli

Postby geekygrilli » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 am

Yes, and make sure the car never leaves your driveway. Even if they 'buy' it off you and you need to buy it back just keep it somewhere safe, do not let them take it away. It might go missing!

A friend of mine was going through the process of buying his car back, but it was towed away for evaluation originally, then no one could find it and he never got it back again!

When my Fiesta got written off years ago I was lucky as I could store it on my mum and dad's drive so it was fairly safe. I got £750 from the insurance company and bought if off them for £50. I seem to remember the £50 being taken off what they paid me so it all went through in one swift transaction

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 am

geekygrilli wrote:When my Fiesta got written off years ago I was lucky as I could store it on my mum and dad's drive so it was fairly safe. I got £750 from the insurance company and bought if off them for £50. I seem to remember the £50 being taken off what they paid me so it all went through in one swift transaction

This is similar to my brother's Spitfire he kept it locked in his garage and it was written off by the insurance company and he kept the car. Insurance is basically a gamble. the insurance companies effectively have a bet with you and pay out if they lose the bet. They don't actually own your car, they compensate you for any damage or loss of use that occurs to it during the period of the bet..

Return to “General”