Where can I find dealerships for electric mopeds?

General BVS related area
badnewswade

Where can I find dealerships for electric mopeds?

Postby badnewswade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 am

I want to buy an electric moped. Does anyone have any information on dealerships - I could only find this one website for a firm called "fun2ride", but it looked a bit like a fly-by-night operation. Is it?

It really bugs me that availability of these machines is so limited. Apparently loads of car manufacturers have brought out electric versions, but then mysteriously cancelled them. I suppose there will be plans to flat out outlaw the electric moped as well.

Can anyone help me find one of these while I can?

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Hi Wade

Try doing a search on ebay for "electric moped". I just found 24 of them, mostly scooters. It should give you an idea of what's available. Most of them seem to come out of China and the quality is variable. I don't think there's much chance of them being outlawed – but it would be nice to see a European manufacturer come out with a good design. I'm sure this is a growing market.

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Yeah, I've done that - most them are way, way out of town and therefore impossible.

Some of those bikes are "fun2ride" model electric moped / gopeds which are actually cheaper from that company's own website. The brand seems really good but no dealership, many dead web pages and their phone number is a mobile - does anyone have any experience in dealing with this company? Have they gone bust? Shame, because I'm about ready to go for a test drive.

Anyone know any EV dealerships or anything in Bristol?

MalcolmB

Postby MalcolmB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:43 pm

All the mopeds I see on the fun2ride site have 200 watt motors, which is actually the power limit for electric bicycles. It naturally depends on your needs, but you would get better performance from a decent bike conversion, since you wouldn't have the added weight of fairings, heavier wheels, lights, etc. Is it definitely a moped that you want?

anachrocomputer

Postby anachrocomputer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:04 pm

badnewswade wrote:Anyone know any EV dealerships or anything in Bristol?

I think it's Pembury cycles at the bottom of Gloucester Road, nearly opposite Maplin's, who have the Powabykes. Or, you could try Atmosphere Kites at the bottom of Jacob's Wells Road, who have a few of the more scooter-like machines, I think. If that's the sort of thing you're after. Other than that, I've heard of Cycles Maximus in Bath, but I'm not sure if they have the conventional "assisted pedal cycle" or the more moped-like, scootery types.

What type exactly are you looking for?
1994 Suzuki Cappuccino
1992 Mini-El electric bubblecar

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:38 pm

Probably not all that close, but useful for price comparison.

This firm has been going for a number of years

http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/electricbikes.html

Might be worth looking at the ex-demo stuff for sale under the "used bikes" link.

You gotta love the 200mpg diesel motorbike 8)
London to Brighton on a Sinclair C5 - 6/5/07 - what a trip !
Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 petrol for everyday abuse - thank God for LPG
Sinclair C5's (Plus "c5alive.co.uk" ) as a hobby

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Don't forget the Vectrix dealer in Bristol!

Why don't you come along to the next BEVOB meet on Sunday October 7th? We're a really friendly bunch and I'm sure someone will be able to suggest where you can get a scooter for.

Nikki.

P.S. One of the BEVOB crew is selling a scooter, give me a bell for more info!

07901 553308.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:38 am

Oooh thanks all! Yes I'd love to come to the meet! Thanks for all the information, but... I have a winner!

Just bought a second hand Sakura moped-style pedal-electric bike for £250. I'm looking to customise it so will be interested in any advice - I've now got a vague idea of the wiring (although any technical info would still be much appreciated - it didn't come with any manuals or anything).

Will start a new thread on this soon, the basic premise here is as follows:

It's great, but... but the rubbish acceleration really annoys me and feels quite dangerous. I'm resigned to the top speed as it is a legal requirement, but I'm thinking if I put another battery on it, say a deep-cycle between 80-200 watt (more likely 80) and plugged it in to the hub alongside it's native battery, and then plumbed in an on-off switch and marked it "TURBO / CRUISE CONTROL", would that not then improve performance? Or would I just blow up my new toy?

Return to “General”