Warm battery

Chat about all things battery in here.
Need to know what type to use or size or capacity then again place your thoughts here
Flying John
Site Staff

Warm battery

Postby Flying John » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:09 pm

This weather we are having is great for getting best performance out of your EV batteries.

I have noticed less voltage droop, graeter range and higher terminal voltage.

maybe there is something in having a heated battery compartment for winter.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Oh yes , warm weather is soooooo much better for batts of all types as the hotter weather makes the chemicals work much better.

Of course dont forget it will cause flooded LA's and any liquid filled batt to use slightly more water due to evaporation :wink:

ChrisB

PS going to move your post to the battery section :wink:
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:10 pm

I have a PV powered garage, should I insulate my battery for the colder weather and if so what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks,

Floydster

Flying John
Site Staff

Postby Flying John » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:34 am

Hi Floydster - I would get your battery off a cold floor either on timber or better still in an insulated box perhaps some of that very thick polystyrene they use when laying floors in houses.

Are the batterys sealed or wet batteries. If sealed you may want to think about completely enclosing them, if wet batteries if you fully enclose you ought to have some sort of air extraction to get rid of any acidic fumes.

John

floydster
Site Staff

Postby floydster » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Thanks John,

I have it raised on some wood but it sounds like I should insulate it a bit before the cold weather kicks in.

Thanks again,

Floydster

Alan Ward

warm battery

Postby Alan Ward » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:06 pm

I am interested in this, and want to write a short article on the shorter range of EVs in winter compared to summer, both for lead-acid and for Li-ion batteries. I have a little data from our own measurements but would greatly value info. from any other member. Alan Ward

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:30 pm

Hi Alan

Would any info on Nicads be of any use and if so what sort of info would you be looking for ??

ChrisB

Alan Ward

Postby Alan Ward » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Thanks Chris. Yes, I'm marginally interested in NiCd cells, but very few EVs use them. My own VERY tentative range figure for lead-acid is a 16 % winter summer difference in range but much of this difference must be due to thicker oil etc. in wintertime. I will work on Li-ion figures soon. Alan

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:02 pm

OK I'll keep tabs on my range on the Berlingo (nicad batts) as we enter the winter period and see how much the range drops off and let you know.

ChrisB

retepsnikrep

Li-Ion

Postby retepsnikrep » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:37 pm

I have my batts in a temp controlled foam sandwich at a constant 25C when in use as some of you know. They still work better once they warm up to 40C after 25 miles or so :)

Low temp means longer chemical life, higher temp = faster chemical reactions = better performance but shorter life :(

I will eventually have to run my cells at 50C+ in a few years to get acceptable performance as the internal resistance builds up! :shock:
Regards Peter

Two MK1 Honda Insight's. One running 20ah A123 Lithium pack. One 8ah BetterBattery Nimh pack.
One HCH1 Civic Hybrid running 60ah A123 Lithium pack.

Return to “All things battery related”