Modifying my bike...

Do you own or use or want to build a assisted bike then here is the place for you.
Peter Eggleston

Controllers

Postby Peter Eggleston » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Whether you use batteries, capacitors or plug your ev into the mains with a very long extension lead (electric train perhaps) you are going to need a controller. It is what switches your motor on and off and allows it to accelerate or slow down. In its simplest form a controller may just be an on/off switch, and this works quite well for small machines like electric drills, but on an electric vehicle something a bit more sophisticated is required.
A Pulse Width Modulator controller is basically a system of switching the current on and off thousands of times per second so that the motor thinks the current is being varried.
I agree with Nikki, get the right size controller for the voltage you intend to put across the motor.

badnewswade

Postby badnewswade » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:49 pm

I understand - I just wanted to spare the controller the strain of having extra volts chucked at it, by using essentially on-off switch and an extra 6v straight into the motor when I need it.

Anyway, thanks for all the info folks, thanks to you and some ideas from another forum I think I'm about ready to start collecting bits for, and designing my mod!! Woot!

I'll let you know how it works out as and when :-)

Cheers
Andy

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Keeps up to speed with your plans and take a few pic's of how you get on 8)

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

Return to “Electrically assisted bikes”