BVS greenpower entry??

General BVS related area
bobc

BVS greenpower entry??

Postby bobc » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 pm

I notice that the greenpower "corporate challenge" race in a month or so, includes an entry from "the battery vehicle society". Who's doing that then? what's the car like? Is there a website? I won't be at Goodwood that day unfortunately...
Bob

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:57 am

I'm not too sure but I think it may be something John Lilly is building though I think there's some other's also building a GreenPower project.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:05 am

Yep I'm almost 100% sure its our chairman with the help of Paul our EVguru member, I'll drop Paul a line and see if he can shed any light on this. :wink:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am

Chris, I've a feeling in my bones that Paul's not quite as involved in that one as he was.

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:38 am

Ah I see , OK well I've dropped him a note anyway so see what he says :wink:

ChrisB

bobc

Postby bobc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:40 am

Race day was yesterday. My team got a top 10 finish in both races in spite of major howlers by the team.... (I wasn't there - what can I say....). Yep -10th in both races! The BVS entry ended up with the wooden spoon so I guess something must have gone horribly wrong - I'd still like to know who they were and what happened
Bob

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Wooden spoon award :oops: :roll:

Sorry dont know any details as yet , did see a few pics of our entry............that was before I managed to delete than dam folder off JC laptop :oops:

Qdos was there so lets see if he can shed some light on it :?

ChrisB

qdos

Postby qdos » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 pm

Yep I was there and I actually got to drive a few laps in it too.

It was a rushed job to say the least and we were hard at work on it at 4am Sunday morning not knowing even if it was going to run before we threw in the towel and grabbed 2 hours sleep. (muggins here volunteered the use of his father's garage as he lives just across the A27)

Thanks to MarkTime for the photo

Yes it was a bedraggled machine but then it was made of nearly entirely scrap items the only new parts being the motor and batteries I believe. but the important part is that it took part and made it to the end of the 4 hour race. Furthermore it encouraged at least one family to have a go and get their school to get involved.

Lots of people came and said it was good to see some ordinary people having a go and several of the other BVS members who were taking part with their teams came and welcomed us aboard. So come on and lets see more of you folk giving it a try it's not expensive and you don't need to know oodles of techy bits in fact you can even buy a kit which children as young as 8 can partake in for all of £800.

The whole GreenPower thing is to encourage youngsters to start solving real world engineering problems and to work as a team. It's great to see them all taking part and learning. What other motorsport do you know of where youngsters as young as this can really and truely learn to build a machine and race it on a real circuit. So there you have it guys and girls why not have a go?! You will be surprised how much fun it can be

marktime

Postby marktime » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Opps that photo was a bit big, I must remember to resize next time.

Don't get your hopes up but there may be more pictures to follow, I took my old steam camara with me and used up some old film, if any of them are presentable I will try to scan them for posting.

MarkTime
Soft as Graphite, Hard as Diamond, Black as Coal & clear as CO2, It's a Carbon thing!

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:27 am

Return to “General”