somerset electrothon

BVS Events area, want to meet up with fellow EV'ers then this is the place to post. Please follow the guidelines if you are starting a topic here.
ex925

BVS Somerset Electrathon 2008, variety of entries...

Postby ex925 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 am

Great to see increasing interest from EV builders. I aim to be part of (or the only entrant in - ...?) the "Hilarious Home-made" class. With John showing that a real racer can be made with next to nothing, and Paul, Cedric, and all the others we saw last year, no onlooker would be in any doubt that whether you build, buy, or even part - borrow, you can now travel with greatly reduced, or even virtually no, carbon cost.

This weeks fuel shortages gave us a rehearsal for the near future. The effect of the passing of "Peak Oil" should begin to concentrate the mind of even Jeering Sarkbum. Is it time yet for the BVS to consider trying to get on say, Channel 4, with a compare and contrast show, to counter the negative image generated by media barons (professional morons?) like JC, and the Top Jeer crews anti-EV stunts?

See you all at Sparkford
Ed.

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Yes it would be really good to get some media together it's something I've spoken about and would like to see. Nikki's City El video is what got me to come back to the BVS since she had done a very professional video on YouTube.

I do think though that Joe Public is very much getting fed up of being fleeced at the pumps and will naturally jump on an EV if one becomes available that doens't look like a noddy car. I know several people are working on them but don't expect a 4 door family saloon as the Big car makers will be able to churn them out at the drop of a hat and make them available to see off any smal niche makers within months.

Exciting times are ahead of us though it is indeed frustrating but hey we can have fun on the way and the Electrathon is just one of theose fun events there's several others too. The more we do the more people will take notice.

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm

If someone can get me a decent video camera which won't crash I'll do a video on the L2B :)

Also, check out the L2B thread. There's media interest already.

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 am

The editor of one of the kit car magazines would like to come down but I am still detail less for the event. Does anyone know the time of start at least? How many expected? Any kit car type conversions attending?
Have tried the mobile number I was given to no avail

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 am

I'll find out and give you a call Stuart.

Bring the trike if you can fit it on too :wink:

ex925

BVS SOMERSET ELECTRATHON 2008, Hilarious HomeMade Class

Postby ex925 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 am

The "Junkyard Dog" runs, steers, and stops. The gearing is still a bit high.
Next - all the tidying-up chores to reduce the dismaying appearance to merely comedy level. I hope to have time to make and fit some kind of basic fairing by Saturday. Right now, I'm plaguing cycle shops in search of a Shimano "Exage" freewheel - mounted sprocket - cassette having something like 40+ tooth 1st. gear and through to maybe a 22 tooth 7th. gear. (if such a gearset even exists) If not I will try to devise something myself. Wish me luck. See you all Saturday. All the best. Ed.

PS
Journalist? ... Did someone say Journalist ?!........
Oooh 'eck - should I try to paint it ?

qdos

Postby qdos » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Didn't you realise you're always supposed to wear your best bib and tucker at these events and yep there will be a concourse d'elegance too! :wink:

Only kidding

Looking forward to seeing you there. Sadly I'll not be in an EV again but I'll bring the Zest just for fun all the same. Who else is coming ? Paul are you listening these days ? Steve how about the Jester? Oh and Jozzer what about one of your machines? Maybe your trike ?

ex925

BVS SOMERSET ELECTRATHON 2008, Concours!!!

Postby ex925 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:42 am

Concours D'elegance? I will regard it as discriminatory if there is no "Concours De Laideur" otherwise I have NO chance of winning anything...

Only kidding

I wish...

All the best

Ed.

stuart mills

Postby stuart mills » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:30 am

Spoke to John Lilly who tells me he has booked the track from 9.30-5. He has also booked good weather and lots of fun so I will bring my little trike for a laugh. I have also invited Ian Stent who is the editor for Complete Kit Car magazine, so please do your hair.
Unfortunately my pals at ITV's Pulling Power cannot make it but they are keen to do a 10minute feature on EV's soon.
Big turn out then tomorrow I hope.

qdos

Postby qdos » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:30 pm

Well everyone each said how much they had enjoyed today's Electrathon at The Haynes Motor Museum.

I have to say that was the best BVS event I've been to and I thoroughly enjoyed myself not least of all thanks to Stuart and his superb Grin making machine the MEV Pocket Etrike.

Even Cedric had a grin from ear to ear after having taken it round the track several times!

We'll be having a write up on the day and Stuarts superb little machine shortly in Plugged In but suffice to say both myself and John Lilly have both said to Stuart we most definitely want to build one of the machines.

Some of the machines that took to the track and had a great time. If you weren't there you missed a really good day!

Return to “Events”