Projects: Recharging Points

General BVS related area
arsharpe

Projects: Recharging Points

Postby arsharpe » Thu May 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Basingstoke Council

Just to let you know that I have contacted Basingstoke (in Hampshire) council to see if they will install recharge points.

Managed to speak to the 'Carpark Manager' and he had never thought of it (doh) and has gone away to think about it. I explained that Basingstoke is ideally situated being about 40 miles from SW London and ideal point for recharging for people going down the M3 or A303 to Southern England.

Anyway if discussions continue I will encourage, pursuade (or bully) :-) for high power points. So that people dont have to stay long. The details of high power chargers may be upto us.
Motorola, Chineham, Basingstoke
    Also started discussions with my employer. Have taken my boss out and he is fascinated and will help put my case forward. Now just need to take his manager out, ...

Regards,
Rob

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 31, 2007 9:40 pm

I'd think that most people will require blue industrial 16A circuits max.

Nikki can you confirm what outlets you have at your center, are they the blue BS4343 16A sockets or are they normal 13A sockets .

I would think they will only install 16A outlets.

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:12 am

ChrisB wrote:I'd think that most people will require blue industrial 16A circuits max.

Nikki can you confirm what outlets you have at your center, are they the blue BS4343 16A sockets or are they normal 13A sockets .

I would think they will only install 16A outlets.

ChrisB

Yup, At Cribbs Causeway we have just 16A and 13A sockets. Each charging point has it's own isolation switch with the facility of a padlock for each to prevent unauthorised use. To be honest a charging point only needs the correct socket (I'd recommend you have both to cover for all EV needs), RCD protection on each and I believe, separate Isolation from the mains at the socket.

Our charging points were closed for a week as the separate isolation wasn't put in when the points were installed and the H&S people threw a fit. It's all up and running now. I believe the total cost was a few hundred pounds per point.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

EVangelist and Media Relations Coordinator, www.ZeroCarbonWorld.org
Host, www.transportevolved.com

http://about.me/aminorjourney/bio

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:28 am

Do you have an idea about present usage or likely future usage ?

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 am

At the moment the people who use it are stopping off for a few hours to have a top-off charge. There's currently three people who regularly use it but hopefully that will increase as more people get switched on and plugged in. :)

The predicted use hopefully will go up with maybe two or three people a day using it - but that is some distance in the future. Beacuse Cribbs Causeway is primarily a shopping mall the use of the points for short charging is more common than the eight hour recharging marathon you sometimes get when people are leaving their cars at a charging point and charging up to get home at the end of a day at work!

In terms of cost to charge our point is completely free but a donation is requested. I normally put a few pounds in whenever I plug in so Cribbs Causeway must make a lot from me ;)
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

ChrisB

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:13 am

aminorjourney wrote: I believe, separate Isolation from the mains at the socket.

Our charging points were closed for a week as the separate isolation wasn't put in when the points were installed and the H&S people threw a fit. It's all up and running now. I believe the total cost was a few hundred pounds per point.

Do you mean Electrical isolation ?? i.e isolation transformer fitted ?? or just RCD protection , cant imagine why they would want electrical isolation ?? thats taking H&S way too far if you ask me and certainly beyond what is called for in the regs :shock:

ChrisB
I reject reality and substitute my own !!!!!!

arsharpe

Postby arsharpe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 am

Motorola, Chineham, Basingstoke (Update)

We have buy in from the Chineham Industrial Park landlords (not just Morotoal), so it looks like it will be a public station with about 6 recharging points.

Also, there are plans for a hotel to be built within walking distance, which will make it even more attractive :-)

Should get an update in July/August 2007

Regards,
Rob

aminorjourney

Postby aminorjourney » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:56 am

Excellent work Rob!

Please keep pestering them. I found that persistant pestering worked a charm. Once they have a date please liase with me as Press and Publicity Officer and I'll see what events we can cook up to celebrate the launch!

Nikki.
Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield

MB

Postby MB » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:19 pm

That's fantastic news... just about the same time that I'll be leaving the area and heading for Coventry... d'oh!

qdos

Postby qdos » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:22 pm

MikeBoxwell wrote:That's fantastic news... just about the same time that I'll be leaving the area and heading for Coventry... d'oh!

Positive thinking though Mike. Then there will be an EV Network point in Coventry ;)

Return to “General”